The Senior Formulating Chemist over Dietary Supplements is a critical position to the success of the company. A person in this position will be responsible for developing and improving stable formulation of dietary supplements in various delivery formats (capsules, tablets, softgels and powder). The Senior Formulating Chemist will also be responsible for performing optimization for various batch sizes, and equipment and process validation under cGMP requirements.
- The formulation chemist develops and maintains nutritional supplement formulations in various delivery formats (tablets, capsules, powders, liquids and/or nutrition bars) for launch in the US and international markets.
- The formulation scientist works collaboratively with various internal groups on product formulation, product/process development, stability, scale up and commercialization of dietary supplement dosage forms.
- The scientist ensures formulations are high quality, stable, safe, cost effective, and meet brand guidelines.
- In addition, the formulator will explore and conduct research in relevant technologies for product innovation and product/processes enhancement.
- Understands ingredient interactions and their implication on product stability.
- Reviews ingredient, process and finished product specifications and nutrition/supplemental facts panels and labels.
- Works collaboratively with cross functional teams to solve complex formulation and technical challenges with speed and robustness, including:
- Production to resolve ingredient and product technical issues;
- Quality assurance to develop proper documentation for new formula and product development projects;
- Product Development to troubleshoot technical, formulation, and processing issues during development and launch;
- Purchasing to generate new formulations, source new/existing raw materials for cost analysis and feasibility of formulation
- Regulatory to ensure all formulations, procedures, and claims are in compliance with current FDA guidelines.
- Establish/maintain outside supplier and industry contacts for information exchange regarding manufacturing technologies, ingredients, theories,and developments.
- Prioritizes and manages multiple projects to achieve project deadlines.
- Perform other related duties as assigned to meet departmental and company objectives.
- Occasional travel to industry trade shows.
- Any other projects and tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in biochemistry, chemistry, or other science discipline.
- 5 years of experience in R&D or product development within the dietary supplement industry in a fast paced environment.
- The candidate will have a grasp of the product development process from concept to launch including formulation knowledge, understanding of chemical interactions, experience with process design and equipment selection as well as broad knowledge of ingredients and the related dietary supplement and nutraceutical regulations and testing requirements.