State College, Pennsylvania, United States, PA
AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania; a severe weather center in Wichita, Kansas; and offices in New York City and elsewhere around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their activities and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather For Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, digital out of home, the 24/7 AccuWeather Network channel and AccuWeather NOW streaming service. Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
AccuWeather's innovation-first promise has led to the development of many award-winning and propriety features that are available free to the public, including AccuWeather MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy ™, the exclusive AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature, and AccuWeather RealImpact™ Scale for Hurricanes, among many other revolutionary products for the greater safety, convenience and comfort of our users. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of the Fortune 500 and thousands of other businessines in the U.S. and globally.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, established AccuWeather in 1962 and is considered the “father of modern commercial meteorology.” Dr. Myers, a leading creative thinker and visionary, has been named “the most accurate man in weather” by The New York Times and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur’s Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs.
Meteorologists work daily to save lives and property, which is at the forefront of AccuWeather’s Mission Statement, across the United States and globe. Our meteorologists create and effectively communicate impact-driven forecasts for all weather phenomena, ensuring they are delivered to businesses and consumers alike. This includes directly influencing forecasts seen by over 1.5 billion users of our digital properties and finalizing products for media partners in radio, television and newspaper industries, as well as the general public, schools, transportation departments, corporations and a variety of other clients. The team creates hurricane forecast tracks and impacts specifically tailored to clients as well as snowfall prediction maps and customized forecasts and warnings. They also identify areas of concern for severe weather, flash flooding and other hazardous weather. The Senior Meteorologist will play a key role in forecasting tropical cyclones, as well as how weather impacts commodities.
By using a consensus forecast approach, all team members from interns and early-career professional forecasters to senior meteorologists lend their knowledge to achieve forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. The mid-level Meteorologist will work with AccuWeather forecasting team in State College, Pennsylvania.
- Prepare specialized impact-driven weather forecasts and products for our customers or users. These include, but are not limited to, the creation of products for digital platforms, traditional media customers (radio, TV stations, newspapers), business-to-business customers, and internal customers.
- Regularly serve as a role model and leader, working with other team members to grow their skills and mentoring them in forecasting and communicating meteorology.
- Justify and explain weather predictions to colleagues and engage in a dialogue with them to reach a consensus agreement on any differing predictions.
- Regularly synthesize complex weather scenarios into easy-to-understand verbal and written forecasts and briefings.
- Monitor and analyze new weather data in real-time and determine whether a change in weather forecasts is warranted. Discuss with colleagues to formulate a revised consensus based upon best professional judgement, update forecasts and products for customers as appropriate, and communicate any revisions to customers.
- Special duties and responsibilities may include serving as Shift Coordinator, overseeing department committees, quality assurance, specifying or implementing efficiency measures, customer support, scheduling, research and development, or other areas.
- Keep abreast of the latest developments in the field of meteorology and apply new tools and ideas to everyday forecasting processes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BS in meteorology or atmospheric sciences from a four-year college or university, or equivalent education, with at least 8 years of professional forecasting experience.
- Demonstrated superior skill in weather forecasting and job performance in multiple forecast areas, including understanding how to craft impact-driven weather forecasts
- Experienced in communicating weather information to customers and provide superior customer service.
- Ability to read, understand, analyze and utilize the complete array of available weather data.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both written and oral.
- Must have or qualify for professional membership in the American Meteorological Society and the National Weather Association
- Proven ability to synthesize and convey complex meteorological ideas into actionable forecasts for various users.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment.
- Must be available to work overnights, evenings, weekends and holidays as required.
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to
email@example.com let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.