Senior Propulsion Materials & Process Engineer (Non-Metallic)
Aerojet Rocketdyne is a world-recognized aerospace and defense leader providing propulsion and energetics to its space, missile defense, strategic/tactical missile and armaments customers throughout domestic and international markets. We offer a complete line of propulsion products for launch vehicles, missile defense, and advanced hypersonic propulsion. To learn more, visit www.rocket.com
Aerojet Rocketdyne seeks a Senior Engineer to support the Propulsion Materials and Process Engineering Team at our second largest site near Camden, Arkansas, an easy drive from anywhere in Southern Arkansas' Golden Triangle (El Dorado, Magnolia and Camden).
This current opening may be filled at this level as posted or at one level higher.
Essential Job Functions (Including % of Time for Each)
With limited supervision, this individual performs assignments requiring an application of advanced principles, theories and concepts in the propulsion field with an emphasis on inert component technologyand manufacturing with a working knowledge of other related disciplines (thermal and structural). Experience in process control, lean manufacturing best practices, and manufacturing operations experience of items such as liners, component molding, and ablatives is desired.
Responsible for leading (technical), organizing (cost and schedule), and implementing tasks independently and providing materials guidance. Specifying chemical and physical testing, evaluation of data, and preparing and presenting reports of results are typical of the job function:
- 20% - Evaluate and implement tractable solutions to technical problems in production or during development involving the utilization of materials engineering and material science analysis techniques.
- 30% - Technically responsible for planning (technical), organizing (cost and schedule), and conducting technical projects covering a broad range of technical topics under the guidance of a Technical Manager.
- 30% - Develop, plan, and promote projects independently for the implementation of novel technical approaches and cutting edge technologies.
- 20% - Consolidate results, prepare findings for reports and present results.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Materials Science, Material Engineering, or Chemistry and five (5) years of directly related technical experience with inert materials such as adhesives, liners, ablatives, and composites, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Desired and required background:
- Master’s or PhD in Materials Engineering, Material Science, Chemistry or related science discipline with two years of directly related technical experience in the materials environment (or equivalent combination of education and experience) preferred.
- Knowledge of chemical principles, thermodynamics, polymer chemistry, structure/property relationships, kinetics, and data analysis is essential.
- Experience with inert materials, statistical analysis, programming and experimental set-up and data acquisition is a plus.
- Experience in process control, lean manufacturing best practices, and manufacturing operations experience of items such as liners, component molding, and ablatives is desired.
Being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 is a condition of employment at Aerojet Rocketdyne. Proof of vaccination or an accommodation request approved by Aerojet Rocketdyne will be required prior to starting employment with the Company.
May be required to obtain and maintain a U.S. Security Clearance at the appropriate level. Requires U.S. Citizenship, U.S. Permanent Residency or other status as a U.S. Person. Must be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information, and having dual citizenship may preclude you from being able to meet this requirement.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements:
Work place may include areas where a wide variety of chemical materials are used and stored. May involve potential exposure to variable noise levels. Must customarily have a high consciousness for personnel and equipment safety. May require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety shoes, shop coat, and respirator. Employees in these positions must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer; stamina to sit or stand and maintain attention to detail despite interruptions; may occasionally lift/carry/push/pull up to 25 pounds; may require occasional walking, climbing, stooping, crouching, and/or bending; and vision to read printed materials and a computer screen, and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. May require the ability to travel by air or auto. These positions may be expected to work varying shifts and hours to ensure successful operation of activities in the organization.