Senior Renewable Energy Engineer/Data Scientist (Asset Performance & Turbine Suitability Group)
Underwriters Laboratories Inc.
At UL, we know why we come to work.:
Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with a common purpose: to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society, and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity, collaboration, inclusion and excellence. UL stands at the forefront of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying? Yes. Exciting? Absolutely!What youÃ¢ll learn & achieve::
UL is seeking a senior-level Renewable Energy Analyst / Data Scientist to join the Asset Performance and Turbine Suitability Group.
The Ideal Candidate will be academically trained with a background in Boundary-layer Meteorology and/or Wake Modeling, be able to program in python and/or R, and have in-depth knowledge of the wind industry and the commercial realities which drive asset management and development. The position involves a great deal of coding in a team environment including knowledge of revision control systems and tools to enable parallel software development. The position also requires forward-facing client contact so the ideal candidate will also have excellent written and verbal communications skills and the ability to present a consistent story even in a dynamic situation.
The position will split time between billable work for clients (75%) and executing the teamâ€™s R&D roadmap (25%) to continuously deliver high quality products and services. This is a full-time position located in the United States and the location is flexible depending on business needs.
What you will be working on :
- Timely and efficient completion of high-quality renewable energy analysis for clients including. o operational energy production analyses/reports
o portfolio benefit analyses/reports
o proxy generation analyses/reports
o custom analysis on a variety of subjects including quantifying performance upgrades and the root cause of performance issues
- Ingesting and quality controlling both high-frequency SCADA and Revenue Meter production data into the UL database
- Designing and implementing temporal and spatial cross-validation studies to quantify error and uncertainty of existing products
- Designing methods and tools for quantifying covariance of uncertainty categories related to the portfolio benefit analysis
- Review, validation, and analysis of meteorological, SCADA, revenue meter data, and monthly operations reports.
- Improving upon existing methods and tools used to quantify plant losses and availability. o Creation and documentation of algorithms related to classification and potential production
- Ensure best practices are followed on products and contribute to continuous improvement of mature products using standard software development tools and revision control
- Conducting original research, leveraging the UL SCADA database to support and refine products, and presenting research at conferences
- In collaboration with others drafting scopes of work for specialized products.
- Contribute to documentation and development of internal systems used by global analyst to deliver standardized products. Ensure standardized product assembly line is both user-friendly and has sufficient understandability. o Training global analyst to deliver standardized products and troubleshooting common issues
- Write/review reports and present results to customers and other interested parties.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Masters of Science degree in a quantitative field (physical science, engineering, atmospheric science or computer science) from an accredited University.
- Over 5 years experience in the wind energy sector.
- Thorough working knowledge of a programming language(s) including R, Python, and/or MATLAB. Demonstrated ability to pick up new languages
- Thorough working knowledge of software revision control tools such as git or svn and a demonstrated ability to program in a team environment (Improving the code of others not just inventing)
- Database administration and scripting skills preferably PostgreSQL.
- Experience working directly with customers to develop scopes of work and to present technical results/findings.
- Demonstrated ability to manage client expectations and comfort having technical discussions with clients, lenders, and other stakeholders.
- Documenting new and existing processes and procedures for performing analysis leveraged by analyst globally
- Familiarity working with the Linux operating system
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word).
- UL has COVID-19 protocols and policies in place. Business related travel on behalf of UL requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination
- Effective November 1, 2021, the company mandates that employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment (except where prohibited by law), subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
- Academic Background in Boundary Layer Meteorology and/or Wake Modeling
Experience working with FLORIS or Py-Wake
- Experience working with atmospheric numerical models including GCMs, mesoscale or microscale.
- Working knowledge of current wind turbine technology with a focus on operational performance including: Knowledge of turbine control system theory (i.e. PI/PID controllers)
- Familiarity with methods and algorithms for determining nacelle anemometer transfer functions
- Proven track record of SCADA analysis and knowledge of algorithms used to calculate availability.
- Knowledge of algorithms used in classification and multivariate regression.
- Experience applying Monte Carlo with correlation among input variables
Experience training and applying ML algorithms to classify production
- Contributing to an opensource project (Extra credit for FLORIS, Py-Wake or OpenOA contributors)
- Experience working with a variety of machine learning algorithms
- Strong Linux skills both solving problems and administrating specialized applications (i.e. R-studio server and Jupyterhub)
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills.
- A proven track record with meteorological data analysis.
- Ability to work under deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
Basic understanding of NPV modeling and project finance
What youÃ¢ll experience working at UL::
- Mission: Shape the way we approach and deliver our solutions to promote a secure and more sustainable world
- People: Work with colleagues, who listen to, learn from and challenge each other so that you can continually push for excellence and results
- Interesting work: Your work at UL will challenge you to try fresh approaches, work autonomously, drive change and help you gain in-depth experience in your field
- Grow & achieve: Growth and development are part of our DNA. Grow & achieve with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as your very own UL University
- #ThisIsOurNormal: Competitive renumeration & bonus packages, possibility to work remotely, and much more!
To apply, please use the button below â€“ we are looking forward to hearing from you!