Motor City Harley-Davidson
Farmington Hills, MI
Job Title: Service Dispatcher
Supervisor: Service Manager
Primarily responsible for assuring quality service work, while maintaining a high level of productivity and efficiency for the entire Service Department. Issue service work to mechanics and maintaining the flow of service work through the Service Department.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists Service Manager, in ensuring that service personnel are alert, well trained, and available when needed.
- Ensure that technicians receive jobs based on skill level and current resource utilization.
- Review work-in-progress to ensure quality and reasonable completion times.
- Make estimates for internal work.
- Perform necessary work on vehicles or components in accordance with time schedules.
- Covers for the Service Manager in his absence as needed.
- Follows dealership closing procedures as assigned by General Manager.
- Greet customers immediately, in a courteous and friendly manner.
- Handle customer complaints according to company guidelines: reasonably, showing empathy, exhibiting a positive attitude, and demonstrating our commitment to “make things right”.
- Gain the trust and confidence of new customers when they are introduced to the Service Department.
- Give special attention to repeat Repair Orders to ensure that the situation is corrected before it becomes a customer complaint.
- Avoid making commitments that might not be met. It is better to under-promise and over-deliver
- In conjunction with the Service Manager, establish technician work schedules that balance the workloads of all technicians.
- In conjunction with the Service Manager, monitor and address all comebacks with individual technicians.
- Establish departmental work schedules, balancing the work loads of all employees with the needs of the department.
- Establish job assignments with the Service Manager for technicians within their skill levels.
- Assist in observing employee performance and reporting findings to the Service Manager.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
Qualifications & Job Requirements
- Five years of progressive experience within the Service Department of a motor vehicle dealership or the ability to quickly learn the business operations.
- Knowledge and experience in the sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles and other products and services sold by the dealership, or the demonstrated ability to quickly learn them.
- Experience with point-of-sale and parts and service management computer software or the ability to quickly learn based on experience with other software.
- Maintain a positive attitude and relationship with all other employees.
- Capable of pushing and loading motorcycles.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Valid driver’s license and motorcycle endorsement.
- Passion for the motorcycling lifestyle and riding community.
- Attention to detail.
- High energy level needed.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, Holidays, and evenings.
- Proficient in meeting deadlines on a timely manner.
- Requires the use of both hands.
- Frequently required to bend, stop, crouch, reach, handle tools and lift 50lbs of material.
- Requires the ability to balance and push a 800+lb motorcycle.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
- Potential exposure to battery acid, gasoline, chemical cleaning materials or other toxic materials commonly found in a motor vehicle service department.
- Occasionally exposed to exhaust fumes or other airborne particles.
- Frequently works near moving mechanical parts.