Caterpillar - Blanchard machinery
The Service Manager is responsible for managing and directing the day-to-day operations of the department, by scheduling work, managing technicians and communicating with internal and external customers. The Service Manager will demonstrate leadership, commitment to the team, exemplify excellent customer service and be solutions-oriented. This individual is committed to safety standards and sets clear expectations to ensure a healthy and safe work environment while consistently representing Blanchard in a professional manner.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Adheres to and follows all applicable and required safety standards and procedures, at all times.
- Complies with all corporate policies and ensures compliance by his/her direct reports.
- Works closely with other departments to coordinate and schedule work (sales, parts).
- Prioritizes, manages and measures work to assign jobs to technicians.
- Interacts and communicates with customers with a focus on providing excellent customer service.
- Utilizes business systems and data to operate within budget, meeting standards for flat rates, bids and estimates.
- Manages operations to ensure profitability by reviewing daily labor and parts costs, productivity and keeping rework costs to a minimum.
- Monitors all warranty work for proper administration of claims to manufacturer, checking for accuracy, completeness and ensuring timely processing and closing within 5 days of last work activity.
- Ensures all warranty and policy decisions are mutually fair to the customer, the manufacturer and the dealer.
- Checks for proper maintenance of offices, shops, vehicles, tools and other company property to promote safety and excellent customer service.
- Prepares annual service department budget, by setting objectives and plannnig capital expenditures requests.
- Sets clear expectations for all direct reports and instills accountability through regular coaching to ensure expectations are met.
- Conducts regular team meetings and places an emphasis on team communication.
- Actively works to develop skills, both personally and for the team by recommending and scheduling training.
- Conducts performance reviews, both informal and formal (annual review).
- High school diploma and 3+ years experience as a service technician, required.
- BS degree in business related field, previous supervisory experience and/or experience in the diesel or construction equipment field, preferred.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills to oversee, motivate, direct, train, and evaluate people.
- Exhibits a high level of verbal and written communication skills.
- Has technical knowledge of CAT machine components and systems in order to troubleshoot problems and train others.
- Able to organize jobs into a logical operational sequence and provide leadership to assigned technicians.
- Strong work ethic and self-starter. Able to effectively manage multiple tasks/priorities and adapt to change.
- Ability to work with all levels of employees, management and customers in a positive, professional and effective way.
- Must possess a professional and friendly attitude and be able to quickly develop a rapport with customers over the phone and in person.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities; meets deadlines and works well under pressure.
- Ability to learn and navigate new software quickly.
- Personal commitment to continuous improvement and service excellence.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with no more than 2 violations in the past 3 years.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements:
- The physical environment requires the employee to work primarily inside (may not be climate controlled) throughout the day.
- Required to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to injury and/or hazardous materials.
- Required to use a computer to perform daily duties.
- Shift work, weekends and/or 24-hour call may be required.