|Soil Health Specialist|
Being Age 55 or Older is Good for The Environment! The Agricultural Conservation Experienced Services (ACES) Program offers unique opportunities in Scientific, Technical, and Agricultural support for individuals age 55 and over to support the Department of Agriculture?s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) through a grant administered program through National Older Worker Career Center (NOWCC). This is a unique program where your talents, expertise and experience will truly be valued. The NRCS provides an opportunity to work side-by-side with NRCS staff that are doing important work every day. Benefits: Paid Health Insurance Premium for positions budgeted at 60+ hours per pay period, Accrued Vacation and Sick Leave, Paid Federal Holidays, and optional Vision and Dental Insurance available for positions budgeted at 35+ hours per pay period.
---> Positions listed here do not guarantee employment for any definite period of time. Enrollment in the Experienced Worker Programs administered by NOWCC is temporary. The enrollment relationship between NOWCC and the Enrollee is an at will relationship. This means that an Enrollee is free to terminate his or her enrollment at any time during the enrollment period, and NOWCC and the Agency have the right to terminate the relationship with the Enrollee.
NOTE: An ?ACES Enrollee? is not a federal employee, nor an employee of NOWCC. An ?ACES Enrollee? is a participant in a grant program, which is established through a Cooperative Agreement funded by the USDA-NRCS and administered by NOWCC.
Minimum of 10 year(s) of experience in natural resources area of work. OR BA/BS Degree in Agriculture, Natural Resources, Agronomy or related field of study
- A valid state driver's license is required.
- Experience required with Windows, MS Word, MS Excel
- MS PowerPoint
Provide state office assistance in the area of soil health outreach, education, training, and other activities related to promoting soil health within the state of North Dakota. Work with the Burleigh County SCD on soil health activities at the Menoken Soil Health Demonstration Farm.
- Assist in outreach and educational activities related to soil health for ND NRCS staff and non-NRCS staff. 30%
- Assist in developing and providing training in soil health to NRCS and non-NRCS field staff and assist technical specialists from other disciplines with appropriate application of soil health information. 20%
- Assist with performing lab analysis on soil samples, including but not limited to spectral analysis, soil moisture analysis, and methods associated with soil health indicators. 20%
- Evaluate soil and plant properties and characteristics for their applicability and use in conservation practices in Farm Bill activities. 15%
- Assist with preparing soil samples for lab analysis, including but not limited to drying and grinding soil samples. 15%
- Civil Rights and Computer Security
- Overnight travel: Ocassional overnight stay maybe needed with no more than four nights within a week.
NOWCC is committed to promoting equal opportunity and to an environment free from discrimination and harassment in any form administering Experienced Worker Programs under cooperative agreements with federal agencies. It is NOWCC?s policy to comply with all applicable laws that provide equal opportunity and to prohibit unlawful discrimination in enrolling participants in the federal programs.
National Older Worker Career Center