Position: Steakhouse Manager/Sommelier
Department: Food and Beverage (F&B)
Job Summary: Ensures a high quality food and wine experience along with exceptional guest service by successfully managing the restaurant activities, functions, and operations.
Duties and Responsibilities (specific areas of responsibility include but are not limited to):
- Oversees and monitors daily operations to ensure compliance with departmental and Entertainment Enterprise Division (EED) internal controls, policies, and procedures as well as applicable laws and regulations.
- Greets and communicates with guests in a friendly and courteous manner.
- Circulates through restaurant and coordinates activities of service personnel to provide efficient and courteous service to guests.
- Ensures compliance with State alcohol laws and server requirements.
- Maintains a safe, clean, and comfortable environment at all times.
- Manages the requisition, receipt, storage, and inventory of supplies and products to ensure items are neither over nor under ordered; ensures inventory is managed and controlled.
- Maintains product and service quality standards by conducting ongoing evaluations.
- Identifies and purchases wines; travels to wineries and vineyards to choose wine.
- Maintains professional relationships with wine distributors.
- Monitors the conditions of the wine cellar, ensuring optimal storage.
- Manages the daily activities necessary for maintenance and promotion of the wine collection.
- Works with kitchen staff to develop food and wine pairings.
- Guides guests in selecting the appropriate wine for dinner using an ability to understand different wine tastes and preferences.
- Describes wines with depth and expertise providing information such as the types of grapes and the region where it was produced.
- Takes wine bottles to the table with appropriate glasses; encourages guests to smell and taste before serving.
- Decants vintages properly with the showmanship and standards required by traditional wine service.
- Aims to achieve a high degree of wine service along with generating revenue targets.
- Educates wine serving team members about wine etiquette, wine attributes, and general wine knowledge.
- Teams with others to maintain an attractive wine cellar display in accord with departmental standards.
- Expands knowledge by attending courses and seminars as well as visiting wineries and wine producing regions.
- Updates self and keeps abreast of the latest trends and developments in the wine industry.
- Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Recommends and implements techniques to improve productivity, reduce costs, and improve guest service.
- Resolves guest and team member complaints in a diplomatic and level headed manner quickly, professionally, and effectively.
- Monitors the restaurant team members to assure they provide service in accordance with established standards and takes action to correct deficiencies.
- Prepares financial reports as well as utilizes and applies the information in a timely and practical manner to improve the operation.
- Produces regular reports that compare activity with the previous year in areas such as sales, average spent per head, and food purchases as a percentage of sales and labor; forecasts sales and labor per day for the next week.
- Maximizes cost effectiveness within the venue by ensuring compliance with established budget, labor, and revenue benchmarks.
- Assists with the development of long-term strategic planning regarding food services; ensures delivery is consistent with the EED’s mission and business strategy.
- Enforces health and safety standards rigorously; ensures work related injuries or incidents are reported to Security but also maintains own accurate and timely records for purposes of assessing training needs and taking corrective action.
- Maintains appropriate staffing levels; prepares work schedules as well as delegates work and makes station assignments.
- Operates Micros Point-of-Sale system, Food Trak system, and back office computer systems proficiently to support operations.
- Supervises and develops direct reports by mentoring, coaching, and providing performance feedback; works collaboratively with them to design professional development plans that support their continuous learning.
- Assigns decision making and work functions in an appropriate manner to maximize effectiveness; communicates clearly the parameters of the delegated responsibility and required actions, constraints or deadlines.
- Interviews, recommends hires, writes and issues performance appraisals, resolves problems, provides open communication, and recommends corrective action and/or termination, when appropriate.
- Develops and conducts staff training programs; ensures all team members receive on-going training.
- Develops the talents and skills of team members as measured by guest satisfaction, team member satisfaction, and successful team member advancement.
- Develops ‘team” atmosphere with team members and a pro-active leadership role in both front and back of the house.
- Exhibits superb team leadership/development and partnering ability while working with department team members and other department staff.
- Maintains constant awareness of services, promotions, and events offered by the EED to inform guests.
- Presents a neat, clean, well-groomed appearance at all times.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of menu engineering, inventory control, purchasing, forecasting, and scheduling.
- Knowledge of service, service etiquette, and standard service practices for full-service restaurants.
- Knowledge of service technologies needed to provide a high level of merchandising and suggestive selling.
- Working knowledge of tasting, theory, practical, and dining room applications related to fine wine and spirits beverage service.
- Knowledge of departmental and EED’s internal controls, policies, and procedures as well as applicable laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Knowledge of budgetary principles and practices.
- Knowledge of modern filing and recordkeeping practices and procedures.
- Proficient kitchen and service management skills.
- Sales oriented skills
- Strong organizational, planning, and time management skills.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite software, especially word processing and spreadsheet applications, and Micros Point-of-Sale system.
- Skill in working courteously with the public as well as developing and maintaining strong working relationships.
- Ability to market food and wine to brand the experience.
- Ability to control costs related to manpower, productivity, food and wine costs, and other expenses.
- Ability to inspire all team members in the department to provide the highest levels of guest service.
- Ability to communicate and follow directions effectively.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents, such as technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to think strategically, synthesize complex business/financial data, and develop innovative solutions.
- Ability to perform mathematical computations pertaining to the position.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and be fiscally prudent in recommending and/or selecting vendors, materials, and procedures to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Ability to maintain the physical stamina required in a fast-paced work environment with challenging situations; ability to stand and walk for long periods of time in an environment with a loud noise level.
- Ability to accomplish duties in a positive manner.
- Five (5) years food and beverage management experience in a fine dining venue at the management level, including two years supervisory experience.
- Three (3) years experience with point-of-sale systems.
- Three (3) years cash handling experience.
- Two (2) years sommelier experience in a fine dining venue.
- Must either possess or obtain valid Food Handler’s and Alcohol Awareness cards and ServSafe certification within three (3) months of employment.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite software, especially word processing and spreadsheet applications, and point-of-sale systems.
- Demonstrated track record of reliability, responsiveness, and creativity.
- Demonstrated track record of providing excellent guest service.
- Must be able to work any shift, weekends, holidays, and special events, as needed.
- Must have employment eligibility in the U.S.
- Must be able to obtain, maintain, and retain a valid gaming license.
- Associate’s degree in hospitality related program.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish).
Employment Type: Full Time
Years Experience: 5 - 10 years