Special Education Teacher
Special Education Teacher
- Collaborate with campus administration to ensure ongoing identification and documentation of enrolled SPED scholars.
- Schedule and conduct ARDmeetings to ensure appropriate identification, placement and services for scholars with disabilities.
- Collaborate with general education teachers and administrators to provide staff training in SPED strategies, accommodations, and modifications.
- Provide individual and group instruction for SPED scholars on a regular basis.
- Ensure continual assessment of SPED scholar progress by using local and district benchmark testing and general coursework progress reports; evaluate findings in order to assure SPED scholar success
- Plan the necessary time, resources, and materials to support general education teachers in accomplishing all educational goals.
- Ensure compliance with all state mandated assessments including their selection and administration.
- Serve as campus resource person and trainer for all campus staff to support scholars with disabilities.
- Recommend sound policies to the Chief Academic Officer (CAO) to improve SPED program.
- Compile and maintain all reports, records, and other documents required by law.
- Administer tests to evaluate scholar’s progress, records results, and issues reports to inform parents of progress.
- Schedule periodic meetings with parents to discuss scholar progress and problems.
- Participate in faculty and professional meetings, educational conferences and teacher training workshops.
- Work closely with teachers to ensure SPED scholars’ modifications are being implemented
- Collaborate with others (e.g. teachers, administrators, scholars, parents, other District personnel, community organizations, etc.) for the purpose of implementing and maintaining services and/or programs.
- Coordinates SPEDprogram components, support needs and materials for the purpose of meeting scholar needs while complying with District and/or program guidelines.
- Leads and/or participates in meetings, workshops and seminars for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required from TEA.
- Maintains and trains on the maintenance of all SPED records and documents
- Communicate about scholar IEP’s within 5 days after a completed ARD.
- Administer routine scholar observations throughout the year, but always before an ARD.
- Before ARD meetings, schedule substitutes in advance. Avoid last minute request to the Principal.
- Before ARD meetings communicate to teachers about meeting time through calendar scheduling, face to face communication and email reminders.
SFA & Small GroupInstruction & Scholar Achievement:
- Teach the scholars the importance of hard work through joyful rigor --engaging, dynamic learning that is academically, intellectually and personally challenging.
- Implement the three BA non-negotiable instructional methods: Whole Brain Teaching, Interactive Scholar Notebooks, and Hands-On Learning.
- Understand that classroom observational feedback/scores will emphasize the successful implementation of the above teaching methods.
- Foster a love of learning and celebrates scholar successes.
- Challenge scholars to reach their highest potential.
- Model and promote BA character traits to scholars and stress the importance of each scholar being a responsible, contributing citizen to society. I will recognize and reward scholars for displaying BA character traits and uphold zero tolerance for bullying and disrespect.
- Implement the technology and software programs provided by BA, Operating and using technology for optimum results. I will ensure scholars also know how to operate and use technology and software provided.
- Monitor and assess scholars’ daily work to reflect excellence in neatness, thoroughness and scholar mastery of instructional goals. I will ensure scholars do their best in every subject and use neat legible handwriting on assignments. Anything but a scholars BEST is unacceptable.
- Take ownership of tutorials and apply the same standards as above.
Management & Organizations:
- Implement classroom rules/procedures (including consequences) and follow school drills and sub protocol procedures in accordance with the Parent/Scholar Handbook and utilize the Handbook as a first point of reference.
- Maintain a neat, clean, orderly, and educationally-centered environment that demonstrates BA standards of excellence. BA teachers take ownership of the campus and instill this in scholars daily.
Professionalism & Communication:
- Demonstrate professionalism by being in regular attendance and arriving on time to work, staff meetings, tutorials, cafeteria duty, parent nights and other assigned duties.
- Complete required training on time.
- Work cooperatively to create an atmosphere of unity among the school community and refrain from gossip, negativity and unsupportive comments.
- Demonstrate professionalism at ALL times. I will exercise wisdom by remaining calm, respectful and non-defensive during parent meetings, disagreements, and personal attacks.
- Utilize professional communication with strong grammar, syntax, usage and/or spelling skills during phone conversations, personal conversations, emails, and social media such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. I will refrain from attacking others, fighting, or engaging in controversial subjects on social media. I will use professional communication on and off campus, refraining from attacking others, fighting, or engaging in controversial subjects on social media. Professional communication is used on and off campus.
- Exhibit professionalism in appearance and follow the BA standard of dress. I will apply this standard of dress to social media posts in regards to modesty in dress and action (ex: swimsuit, cleavage, & shirtless pictures, in addition to post with alcohol, cigarettes and bars etc.).
- Regularly communicate to parents about scholar achievement levels, class behavior, assigned homework, academic needs, and any concerns.
- Share information regarding school calendar, planned school activities, field trips, money collection, and other events within the classroom and school that are imperative and time sensitive to the parents of the classroom.
- Check staff email a minimum of three times daily during normal working hours and check teacher in-box daily and commit to read updates, notes, and employee notices in a timely manner.