The Director for our Center for Nonoperative Sports Medicine reports to and works collaboratively with the Director of Sports Medicine Clinical Operations and the Director of Sports Medicine Outreach and Education at the Cleveland Clinic Center for Sports Medicine and will have an annual professional review by the Chairman of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery.
The Sports Medicine Physician (previously Primary Care Sports Medicine) Director is ultimately responsible for the overall leadership of the physicians within this group; including day to day operations, integration of SMP services into the Departments strategic plan, productivity and quality improvement.
Overview: The Sports Medicine Physician Director will be expected to promote the Cleveland Clinic Sports Medicine Mission; to advance the health, treatment, and performance of active individuals through clinical practice and scientific investigation and to prepare future leaders in musculoskeletal care, research, and education. The role will include clinical, educational, research, and administrative duties as outlined below. The Director will be expected to serve as a mentor to the Sports Medicine Physician Staff and be an advocate within the department. They will be expected to be involved in providing team/event coverage (opportunities may exist for high school, collegiate, and/or professional coverage and event medical director). The role also includes promoting outcomes research and collaborating with the Director of Sports Medicine Research and the Orthopaedic and Rheumatologic Institute (ORI) Outcomes Director.
- Assuring regular communication with the sports medicine directors of clinical operations and community outreach and education, department chair and with all staff members within Sports Medicine
- Overseeing and resolving issues, including those involving resource utilization, staffing needs and assignments, productivity, patient access, patient satisfaction and other administrative functions as required
- Participate in strategic planning and physician recruitment that supports the strategic direction of the center, department, and institute in line with the Cleveland Clinics mission
- Creating an environment that supports the sharing of information and ideas. Facilitating effective communication to members of the SMP group and to all levels of the organization
- Clearly define the scope and direction in the areas of patient care, education and research
- Creating a vision and providing leadership and support to members of the Sports Medicine Physician group in their pursuit of excellence in the areas of patient care, education and research
- Providing leadership and mentorship to members of the SMP group
- Clinical and didactic teaching of fellows (Orthopaedic and Nonoperative Sports Medicine), residents, outside rotators and medical students
- Oversight of the Sports Medicine Physician fellowship program and program director in educational, clinical and research endeavors.
- Encourage support staff and fellow participation with Sports Medicine conferences and departmental conferences, Grand Rounds, etc. and national/regional conferences
- Represent primary care sports medicine and actively contribute to The Center for Sports Medicine Education Committee as a co-chair
- Ensure the highest quality of professional practice and maintenance of clinical skills, individually and for the Sports Medicine Physician staff.
- Provide and promote the highest quality of care in the discipline of Nonoperative Sports Medicine
- Balance productive clinical volume with other responsibilities
- Promote procedural skills development among staff, fellows, residents. Help to expand the current procedural offerings of the Sports Medicine Physician group.
- Encourage and support new program development within the center. Collaborate across institutes
- Promote a culture of safety that protects the patient, visitor and employee
Research and Outcomes Responsibilities
- Actively involved in research with resulting publications in peer reviewed journals
- Leads efforts to seek funding for research
- Monitor and assure high-quality education and research programs
- Collaborate with the Center for Sports Medicine Research Director
- Explore collaboration throughout the center, department, institute and across the Cleveland Clinic
- Represent Sports Medicine Physician interests on the Center for Sports Medicine Research Committee
- Participate in the design and collection of clinical outcomes data and work collaboratively with the Orthopaedic and Rheumatologic Institute Director of Outcomes Research.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Sports Medicine Outreach and Education to support efforts related to the management and expansion of school, team and community event coverage
- Collaborate on marketing initiatives and contribute to media relations efforts by serving as the representative and advocate for the SMP group on the committee and attending meetings
- Support innovation and represent the SMP Center at innovation committee meetings
- Promote Center for Sports Medicine philanthropy efforts
- Support of the Warthog Society (Cleveland Clinic Sports Fellowship Alumni)
- Active engagement of our SMP Fellowship alumni in all Warthog Society activities