Sr. Applications Developer/Tech Lead
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, Ltd.
Maryland City, MD
Odyssey Systems has an exciting new opportunity for a Sr. Applications Programmer (Tech Lead) to support the Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program’s (CDMRP) Electronic Grants System (EGS).
Duties include, but not limited to:
- Manage and lead Agile Scrum teams of software development professionals including software and website application developers, website designers, automated and manual software testers, information engineers, and other team members as designated by the senior project manager.
- Provide technical direction to programmers to ensure program deadlines are met
- Plan and manage a software development project schedule for new software development, enhancements to existing systems, and bug/defect management.
- Assist the project manager in monitoring, identifying, and mitigating risks associated with the software development life cycle.
- Update a System Design Document and manage the development and organization of technology documentation deliverables and artifacts.
- Develop system design, process flows, and necessary technical architectural documents
- Manage and configure a Jira team site
- Manage and configure a SharePoint team site
- Serve as the deputy project manager reporting to the senior project manager who is located onsite at a customer location.
- Modify existing application code, configurations, and database to accommodate enhancements
- Make database changes to accommodate new system functions and features
- Analyze functional business applications and design specifications for functional areas such as finance, accounting, personnel, manpower, logistics, and contracts
- Correct system errors, defects, and issues associated with the EGS application and/or database
- Oversee the QA/QC processes for testing computer software and help ensure product quality
- Prepare required documentation, including both program-level and user-level documentation
- Ensure proper federal government IT security regulations, procedures, and protocols are followed
- Report any security concerns to the project manager in accordance with established security reporting procedures.
- Communicate and coordinate with hosting facility System Administrators as well as with federal IT staff to meet new user operating environment requirements
- Management and leadership of an Agile Scrum software development team.
- Experience and ability to mentor junior software developers on design patterns and development best practices to ensure quality output to meet program milestones and deliverables
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Technical Skills:
- Knowledge of a variety of concepts, practices, and procedures in coding software applications and in developing professional-level software application code.
- Must be proficient in IntelliJ, Ultra Edit, Mozilla Firefox, Oracle SQL Developer, and Microsoft Visio, VMWare ESX, RedHat Linux OS, Java-JDK + Oracle RDBMS.
- Experience in CI/CD pipeline using SVN, Jenkins
- Experience as an Agile Software Development Team member (i.e., Scrum, Kanban, SAFe, etc.)
- SharePoint 365
- Experience using Customer Relationship Management Systems or Help Desk Ticketing Systems (i.e., Jira (preferred), SalesForce, ServiceNow, etc.)
- Experience as an applications programmer on large-scale database management systems.
- Knowledge of and experience applying automated testing.
- Knowledge and experience in quality management processes and in the software test/release process.
- Experience working as an IT Systems Operations and Maintenance team member providing Tier 2 and 3 support.
- Software Developer III: BA/BS in Engineering, Computer Science, or Related Field with 5 years’ experience or MS/MS in Engineering, Computer Science, or Related Field with 3 years’ experience
- Must be onsite at customer location (Fort Detrick) during business hours and must work effectively in a team environment
- Experience working in a regulated environment and Federal IT Systems
- Knowledge and experience working on Federal Grants Management Systems.
- Grails Web application framework
- Groovy programming language
- Apache Tomcat, outputting HTML, XML, CSV, and XLS.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical, and technical skills.
- Ability to think critically and act expeditiously to evaluate situations, make decisions, and solve problems.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, and ability to work well with a variety of personalities.
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment with changes in priorities and aggressive deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint
- Strong analytical skills
- Highly organized, efficient, and extremely detail-oriented
- Ability to prioritize among multiple tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to work independently and know when to seek assistance
- Desired knowledge and experience with grants management processes
- Ability to create process maps utilizing Visio or other similar software
- Place of Performance: Frederick, MD
- US Citizenship required
- National Agency Clearance and Inquiries (NACI)
- Travel may be required
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, is an innovative small business committed to providing world-class technical, management, and training support services to government and public sector clients. We focus on people, processes, and performance to deliver superior results. Since our inception in 1997, our commitment to mission success and customer satisfaction has been recognized with exponential growth and exceptional past performance ratings. We accept challenging assignments and drive projects from the planning stages, through implementation, and into operations and support.
Please note: Final compensation for this position will be determined by various factors such as the Federal Government contract labor categories and contract wage rates, relevant work experience, specific skills and competencies, geographic location, education, and certifications.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
About the Company
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, Ltd.
Established in 1997, Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, Ltd. is a leading provider of management, analytical, and technical support services for government and private-sector customers. Odyssey delivers innovative solutions in response to complex and challenging customer requirements.
Our portfolio of successful projects demonstrates our ability to efficiently plan, staff, and manage efforts of all scopes and sizes. Our employees provide tailored functional expertise in technology, engineering, and management principles. We offer vast experience in acquisition strategy development and document generation; source selection support; cost, schedule, and performance management; systems engineering and analysis; risk management; cost/benefit and earned value analysis; computer-based training development; communication planning and operations; and lifecycle sustainment and product support. Odyssey also offers research and acquisition support services to the DoD medical domain, leading DoD medical mission support through several prime services contracts.
A six-time Inc. 5000 honoree, Odyssey has earned recognition on the 2019 Inc. 5000 as one of the most successful companies in America. In Inc.’s annual guide to the 5,000 fastest-growing privately held companies in the U.S., we were ranked #162 in the Government Services category, delivering a wide range of services to DoD customers and beyond.