This position will provide complex commercial legal support to Proterra’s VP, Legal and other site leadership team members. This position will be responsible for handling complex commercial transactions across Proterra’s diverse product portfolio that includes battery-electric transit buses, charging stations, charging infrastructure and fleet modeling solutions. You will provide practical advice on various legal risks, business strategies and other issues to ensure positive, long-term relationships with customers and suppliers in a fast-paced, innovative business environment.
About the Role – You will:
- Draft and negotiate a wide variety of commercial agreements from the routine to the complex.
- Ensure all negotiated documents address applicable regulatory compliance requirements dependent on jurisdiction, including for example, domestic content requirements.
- Develop playbooks, templates and best practices to support efficient contract negotiation and execution.
- Work on special projects to support business development and compliance functions.
- Operate independently and effectively collaborate cross-functionally and with external partners.
- Provide the highest-level service and support to our clients every day.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
About Our Group:
- As strategic partners, the Legal team strives to ensure that our values, culture and engagement always allow us do great things for our company.
- We strive to provide the highest level service and support to our clients each and every day.
- We work collaboratively to build strong relationships with our clients, partners, and own team.
- We treat each other with respect……and always try to have a little fun every day!
- This position will be part of the Legal team that supports Proterra’s Manufacturing and Engineering operations.
- You will report to the VP, Legal and collaborate with other Legal team members located at our headquarters in Burlingame, CA and other manufacturing facilities in Greenville, SC and Los Angeles, CA.
- Self-starter with the ability to adapt interpersonal styles and techniques to influence at all levels of the organization and build logical, efficient, and flexible legal processes to support business growth and development from the ground up.
- Customer-focused attitude, with high level of professionalism and discretion.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality, establish trust and credibility, and act with complete integrity.
- Detail-oriented, resourceful and diligent.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Sound judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent English communication skills
Your Experience Includes:
- Law degree with strong academic credentials and membership with at least one state bar.
- 5-7+ years’ experience at a law firm and/or in-house legal department including substantial experience managing key partner negotiations, intellectual property licensing matters and contract drafting from start to finish.
- Flexible and agile thinker, with the ability to react quickly and provide practical advice.
- Proven ability to be highly responsive with an ability to organize, prioritize and manage a diverse workload.
- In-depth knowledge of intellectual property laws and experience in the electric vehicle or vehicle charging industries is preferred.
- Government procurement experience, including transit industry experience is a plus.
You might also have:
- Experience with cross border transactions is a plus.
Travel: 5 - 10%
(This position will be based in the Company’s Burlingame or City of Industry, CA locations but other locations will also be considered based on the Company’s needs and the candidate’s experience)
Proterra is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment opportunities to all Employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, including, but not limited to, lactation or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law or ordinance. Proterra participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program (E-Verify).
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
See job description