Sr. Software Engineer
The Coleman Aerospace Software Engineering Team is responsible for the full lifecycle of mission critical software used for the command and control of aerospace vehicles. In additional to mission critical software, significant support software is maintained by the team and used for ground testing of hardware both at the item and the system levels. This includes technologies related to real-time processing, embedded systems, hardware/software integration, and object oriented design. Coleman’s Software Team adheres to strict processes and procedures for the development of software requirements, detailed design, implementation, and testing in accordance with customer and internal requirements.
This opening is for a C/C++ Software Engineer who will be supporting multiple software projects which include requirements, design, coding, and testing related to the technologies listed above. The successful candidate will be well-rounded in software engineering, self-motivated, detail oriented, and able to work both independently and within a team environment. This position will work out of our Orlando FL location.
This is a mid-level position, however this current opening may be filled at this level as posted or at one level higher if the successful candidate has the necessary experience to justify the level adjustment.
Essential Job Functions (Including % of Time for Each)
Coleman Aerospace is looking for a self-motivated individual with object oriented C++ programming skills to consistently provide high-quality work products. The candidate will be tasked with the design, implementation, maintenance, and testing of mission critical and support software packages. This is generally performed in a real-time embedded environment, a Linux based real-time environment, or in a Windows based GUI environment.
The candidate must have strong written and oral communication skills to be able to convey complex ideas in a clear and concise manner. The candidate may be asked to present their work and results to both internal and external customers, so presentation skills are desired.
The small team atmosphere provided by Coleman Aerospace demands the capability to devise simple solutions to complex engineering problems both independently, and by soliciting inputs from other technical subject matter experts. This position may require occasional overtime and travel as required to meet critical schedule milestones.
Percentage of time committed to duties:
Design and implementation of software: 50%
Maintenance of software: 25%
Software Testing and Support: 25%
- Experience working with real-time embedded software written in C/C++.
- B.S. in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or similar degree and 5 years related experience.
- Thorough knowledge of object-oriented techniques.
- Working knowledge of communication protocols such as TCP/IP, UDP, RS-232, RS-422, and Mil-Std-1553.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills to include report writing, requirements derivation, and documentation, as well as design review presentations.
- Must be comfortable in presenting to large groups of customers during design reviews and technical interchange meetings.
- M.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or similar degree.
- Real-time embedded programming experience with VxWorks, Greenhills, or similar RTOS.
- Experience in CMMI 3 or higher work environment.
- Prior experience developing software for real-time control of events and/or synchronization.
- Familiar with use of oscilloscopes, test equipment, and probes.
- Ability to comfortably work under Windows and Linux environments.
- Experience in Visual C++ (MFC) 6.0 or higher desired.
Being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 is a condition of employment at Aerojet Rocketdyne. Proof of vaccination or an accommodation request approved by Aerojet Rocketdyne will be required prior to starting employment with the Company.
May be required to obtain and maintain a U.S. Security Clearance at the appropriate level. Requires U.S. Citizenship, U.S. Permanent Residency or other status as a U.S. Person. Must be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information, and having dual citizenship may preclude you from being able to meet this requirement.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
Employees in these positions must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer; stamina to sit and to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions; may occasionally lift/carry/push/pull up to 15 pounds; may require minimal walking, climbing, stooping, crouching, and/or bending; and vision to read printed materials and a computer screen, and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. May require the ability to travel by air or auto. May require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety shoes, and shop coat. These positions may be expected to work varying shifts and hours to ensure successful operation of activities in the organization.