The Staff Accountant assists the Senior Accountant with reviewing and posting transactions throughout the month, assist with month-end close in various aspects by running month-end reports, accounts payable and accounts receivable aging.
Under the supervision of the Senior Accountant, he/she will be responsible for developing and implementing accounting and control policies and procedures related to assigned area of responsibility. An understanding of applicable Generally Accepted Accounting Principles is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares analytical variance analysis and performs research, as needed.
- Assist with the research of technical accounting and compliance matters and potential structures.
- Performs account analysis and reconciliations.
- Other duties may include preparation of journal entries, assisting accounts payable, and compiling financial information, and reports for management and auditors.
- Recognize potential accounting and internal control issues and communicate them to the Senior Accountant or the Accounting Manager.
Challenge procedures used in the past and attempt to enhance internal control techniques
- Bachelor's degree in an accounting, finance or business discipline.
- Minimum 1 year of public accounting experience (audit).
- Eligibility for Certified Public Accountant licensure
- Must be able to work independently with limited supervision.
- Must be proficient with Excel and Word.
- Master’s in accounting or Business Administration (MBA)is highly desirable.
- Experience in government contracting is desirable.
- Certified Public Accountant license is a plus.
- Employee must be detail orientated and organized and must demonstrate time management. Employee must demonstrate ability to communicate effectively and proactively.
- Analytical ability to analyze and interpret financial data and solve complex accounting problems as required.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.