Staff Environmental Scientist
Midvale, UT, US
30+ days ago
See Terracon’s Safety Response to Covid-19 below
Job DescriptionGeneral Responsibilities:
Terracon's Salt Lake City office is looking for a talented and experienced addition to our Environmental Department! As one of the largest and most-established environmental consulting firms in Utah, Terracon has an incredible team of environmental professionals and amazing clients.
The successful candidate will conduct environmental site investigations, assessments and surveys to sample soil, water, air and building materials. The information collected will be used to identify, evaluate and develop risk and remediation strategies/designs to ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
Typical projects may include Phase I Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs), Limited Site Investigations / Phase II ESAs, underground storage tank closure assessments, asbestos and hazardous building materials inspections and sampling, storm water inspections and sampling, and operation and maintenance of remediation systems. The candidate may assist in preparing technical documents including proposals, data tabulation and reports. Completion of some projects will require working outside of standard office hours and days.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently and deliver quality products on time.
- Prior experience with soil classification and the sampling of soil, groundwater, and soil vapor.
- Prior experience with asbestos and hazardous building materials surveys and abatement monitoring.
- Preference given to experience with installation, operation and maintenance of various remediation systems.
- Ability to cultivate strong relationships within a team.
- Follow safety rules, guidelines and standards for all projects. Participate in pre-task planning. Report any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects.
- Conduct site testing to gather data and information to be evaluated by other team members.
- Perform testing and sampling of environmental materials including soil, air, groundwater, soil vapor and building materials.
- Operate, maintain and calibrate field monitoring equipment.
- Assist with operation and maintenance of remediation systems.
- Assist with asbestos surveys and abatement projects.
- Transport material samples or documents to the lab for further testing and analysis.
- Tabulate and prepare data for written reports.
- May assist with report preparation by summarizing data and information within reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science or related science field and a minimum of 3 years’ related experience. Or, in lieu of a degree, a minimum of 7 years’ related experience.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Certification in field of expertise.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
Terracon’s Safety Response to COVID-19Committed to Our Employee Safety!
Terracon is passionate about your safety before, during, and after the COVID-19 pandemic. As Terracon continues to move forward and grow through this time, we are continuing to take every precaution to ensure the safety of our employee-owners. If you are as committed to your success as we are committed to your safety, then Terracon is the company for you!
Our goal has not changed. For Terracon, our guiding principle has been and will continue to be the safety of our employee-owners. It’s that simple. We want our employees to be able to work safely in every situation and go home safely each night. As we continue our vision of being “Best at People,” here are some of the things Terracon is doing to safeguard every employee-owner:
- On-going communication with ALL employee-owners on a dedicated COVID Response page, and a portal for their families to have access to resources as well
- Requiring specific COVID-19 Pre-Task Safety Planning Protocols for all tasks and projects
- Empowering employees to speak up and say “no” to working in unsafe conditions
- Providing an additional 40 hours of sick leave to anyone impacted by COVID-19, including those impacted by daycare and school closures
- Offering voluntary reduced work schedule for anyone needing extra time to care for others
- Load leveling work assignments across regions to maintain high productivity and chargeability
- Ensuring proper PPE and sanitation on all project sites by providing field employee-owners with mobile hand washing stations and supplies, masks, and sanitizing kits
- Utilizing technology for more remote work opportunities and innovation using everything from video conferencing to drones
- Following all CDC guidelines including social distancing on job sites, in offices, and in our labs
- Implementing a stand-by leave program to ensure our employees continue service and health insurance benefits during regional work shortages
If your passion lies in working with a company that truly cares for your safety, and if you’re interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that will help you grow and quickly progress in your career, consider Terracon and apply today!
About TerraconTerracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
EEO StatementTerracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.