Surgical Tech I
Rancho Mirage, CA
Rancho Mirage, CA, US
Rancho Mirage, CA
30+ days ago
Full Time,Day,10 Hour Shift
- Job Objective: A brief overview of the position.
- The Surgical Technologist, working under the direct supervision of the perioperative nurse, performs the duties of a scrub person. Prepares supplies for case, sets up and maintains the sterile field, passes instruments and supplies to the surgeon, readies used instruments for the cleaning and re-sterilization process.
- Reports to
- Nursing Director
- Ages of Patients
- Blood Borne Pathogens
- High Potential
- Preferred: High School Diploma. Successful completion of OR Tech training program.
- Required: American Heart Association BLS
- Preferred: CST Certification or equivalent (NCCT)
- Preferred: Experience in an acute multi-specialty environment.
- Essential Responsibilities
- Demonstrates compliance with Code of Conduct and compliance policies, and takes action to resolve compliance questions or concerns and report suspected violations.
- Demonstrates and maintains aseptic technique according to the policies and procedures of Surgical Services.
- Demonstrates competency and knowledge of the surgical environment regarding traffic patterns and contamination of the sterile field.
- Anticipates surgeons needs by review of preference card and procuring appropriate supplies prior to start of case.
- Maintains orderly instrument table and surgical field.
- Remains attentive to the progression of the case in order to anticipate surgeon’s needs.
- Verbally verifies and labels medications and irrigations on the back table with perioperative nurse.
- Maintains and documents accurate sponge, needle, and instrument counts with the perioperative nurse.
- Properly disposes of all sharps and biohazardous waste.
- Accurately identifies surgical specimen and transfers to the perioperative nurse.
- Prepares instruments for cleaning and resterilization.
- Assists with putting away supplies and room turnover.
- Contributes to maximum efficiency of the surgical line up in order to adhere to surgical start times.
- Demonstrates cost effectiveness by using judgment when opening and using supplies.
- Keeps current with new intraoperative techniques and equipment through participation in unit based and continuing education.
- Acts as a preceptor to new staff and students.
- Serve as a role model to new employees and other staff members. Coaches team to anticipate resources.
- Communicate effectively with patients, staff members and physicians.
- Manages at least one department project or gives one staff in-service per year.
- Assume responsibility for self and ensures that the policies, procedures and safety practices of the Operating Room and Hospital are reinforced.
- Use critical thinking to anticipate the needs of the surgical team and perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Accepts responsibilities only within scope of practice.
- Performs other duties as assigned.