Surgical Technician Lead, Operating Room, UofL Health, Mary & Elizabeth Hospital, First Shift, Full-Time
The Operating Room Surgical Technician renders direct patient care under the supervision of the registered Nurse during surgical intervention by anticipating and providing equipment, supplies, and instruments to the surgical team using principles sterile technique for the care of the surgical patient. Varies work requiring the knowledge and use of specific procedures and specialties. Frequent judgment and modification of routine are needed due to the changing nature of the work situation.Responsibilities:
1. Assists circulating nurse in preparing the operating room.
2. Assembles instruments, sterile supplies, and equipment specific to surgical procedures.
3. Scrubs for varied surgical procedures encompassing each surgical specialty and emergency procedures demonstrating versatility and competency.
4. Establishes, maintains, and monitors sterile field throughout surgical procedure. Follows hospital policy for Surgical Hand Scrub.
5. Counts needles, sponges, and instruments at appropriate intervals in accordance with written policy. Alerts appropriate team members in room of surgical cases that could have an incomplete count or where counts are suspended in emergencies.
6. Provides necessary instrumentation for each phase of the perioperative procedure.
7. Receives and handles surgical specimen as directed by surgeon and written policy.
8. Assists in transfer and positioning of patients as directed by surgeon or circulating nurse.
9. Institutes cleaning, reprocessing, and storage of instruments and equipment.
10. Is able to perform cardio-pulmonary resuscitation.
11. Handles various pharmaceutical agents on the field as added by physicians under the direction of the registered nurse. Labels medications on the field in all containers after verifying with the RN for accuracy.
12. Follows departmental flash sterilization policy and documents accordingly.
13. Participates in peri-operative teaching of new employees, nursing and technician students by collaborating with the Operating Room Educator to assess learning needs and establish teaching format.
14. Promotes effective communication network within the operating room.
15. Participates in staff meetings, openly discusses work related problems and offers suggestions for improvement.
16. Participates in intra- and inter-departmental committees.
17. Regular attendance according to assigned schedule.
18. Must respect patientâ€™s right of privacy and confidentiality.
19. Frequent judgement and modification of routine are needed due to the changing nature of the work situation.
20. Advocates for patient care utilizing the chian of command.
21. Maintains a surgical conscience when caring for patients even if mistakes/errors occur.
22. High degree of accuracy required. Must be able to accept corrective as well as positive
23. Promotes a culture of safety based on policies and the organizational values.
24. Reports errors and safety issues to appropriate nurses, physicians, charge nurses, and/or manager.
25. Serves as a role model for students, new employees, and non-professionals.
26. Possesses knowledge of procedures and instrumentation. Serves as a resource person for other staff.
27. Assists in maintaining instruments and instrument sets.
28. Assists in maintaining and updating surgeon preference cards as necessary.
29. Works with the RN team leader to gather information regarding additional instruments or equipment needed.
30. Assists in preparing and planning for future surgery cases. Informs the RN team leader of special supplies, instrumentation, and equipment needed.
31. Committed to work additional hours as needed to assist in maintaining the service.
32. Keeps current knowledge and awareness of instruments/equipment out for repair.
33. Performs other duties as assigned.Qualifications:
Education / Accreditation / Licensure (required & preferred):
High school diploma. Graduation from an accredited Technical or Vocational Program or previous on the job training.
Surgical Technologist Certification preferred. American Heart Association BLS certification required.
Experience (required and preferred): One-year experience in operating room as surgical technician.