Surgical Technician - Surgical Services
We are looking for a Surgical Technician with Surgical Services - MV Department at Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center.
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Schedule: Full-time - 72 Biweekly hours
Shift: 12 hour Day
Under direct supervision, and supported by the assigned preceptor, prepares for basic surgical procedures in less complex surgical specialties for pediatric, adult, and geriatric patients. Arranges the sterile instrumentation according to AORN recommended practices and hospital policy and procedures. Assists surgeons by passing instruments and supplies, holding retractors, and anticipating the surgeon's needs during course of surgery. Assists in cleaning and stocking the operating room and stores equipment and supplies according to equipment and supply directories. Must be able to demonstrate proficiency in the required competencies within six months to achieve promotion to Surgical Technician II, and be prepared to take call.
- Ability to read and write in order to interpret schedule and prepare for operative procedures, knowledge of basic anatomy, physiology and medical terminology, and successful completion of an accredited program in operating room procedures and sterile techniques usually lasting a minimum of one year beyond high school.
- Ability to acquire necessary familiarity with surgeons' preferences; be able to accurately identify large volumes of surgical instruments and supplies, and gain knowledge of unit policies and procedures.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with surgeons and other patient care personnel, often during emergency situations.
- Analytical skills necessary in order to organize and prepare operating room according to standard methods and procedures.
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail for up to eighty percent of work time when performing technical tasks and anticipating surgeons' needs.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods (more than eighty percent of work time) and to occasionally lifts and position patients when preparing patients for operative procedures. Manual dexterity necessary to grasp and hold firmly retractors and delicate surgical instruments.
- Proficient in required competencies upon completion of orientation, as listed on the unit specific competency Inventory, which prepares the candidate to take call.
Minimum Position Requirements:
- S. Diploma or GED
- Coursework/Training - Certificate of completion of formalized surgical technologist training program.
- Coursework/Training - Successful completion of an accredited program in operating room procedures and sterile techniques usually lasting a minimum of 1 year
License / Certification: Healthcare Provider level BLS Certification.
At Mission Hospital with locations in Mission Viejo and Laguna Beach, CA our core values of Dignity, Service, Excellence and Justice translate into an environment where the welfare of our patients always comes before the bottom line.
As non-profit acute care facilities, we serve all of south Orange County.
Mission Hospital Mission Viejo is a Level II Trauma Center and is the area's designated regional trauma center. We have Centers of Excellence in heart, maternity, trauma, breast care, spine, vascular, stroke and brain injury.
Mission Hospital Laguna Beach provides local coastal communities with 24-hour emergency department services, medical/surgical services, behavioral health programs including inpatient and outpatient psychiatric and chemical dependency services and an outpatient eating disorder program.
Mission Surgery Center performs approximately 4,500 annual surgeries and provides a safe and convenient outpatient setting. It is accredited by the Accreditation Association of Ambulatory Health Care.
We are a member of the St. Joseph Health System, one of only 12 winners worldwide of the Gallup Organization's Great Workplace Award, which recognizes an "extraordinary ability to create an engaged workplace culture"; we've received two Beacon Awards for clinical excellence and in 2012 we received Magnet Designation which recognizes hospitals for top patient care, quality nursing and innovations in nursing and healthcare. We offer a collegial work environment with competitive salaries and benefits.
Mission Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Mission Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as “on call/per diem” refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as “as needed basis” to fill in for staff vacancies.
About the Company
At Providence, our strength begins with understanding. We value everyone who walks through our doors, including our caregivers. We walk alongside you in your career, supporting you so you can support others. Together, our 120,000 caregivers (all employees) serve in 51 hospitals, 1,085 clinics and a comprehensive range of health and social services across Alaska, California, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas and Washington.
The Providence family includes:
- Providence across five western states (includes former Providence Health & Services and St. Joseph Health entities)
- St. Joseph Health in Northern California
- Covenant Health in West Texas
- Facey Medical Foundation in Los Angeles, California
- Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian in Orange County, California
- Kadlec in Southeast Washington
- Pacific Medical Centers in Seattle, Washington
- Swedish Health Services in Seattle, Washington
View our career opportunities below and apply today.