Surgical Technologists are responsible for setting up the operating room for a routine or complicated, multi-procedure case in a timely manner and assisting the circulator in checking equipment and obtaining supplies prior to bringing the patient back into the room. Additionally, Surg Techs will check instruments for cleanliness, function, correct number of pieces, and completeness of tray. Whether it be checking sterile supplies for proper packaging or reporting breaks in sterile technique, Surg Techs will play a large role in maintaining a safe work environment for patients and staff as well as an orderly function of the OR.
Memorial is a regional leader in total joint replacements and proudly offers 23 newly renovated OR suites, innovative neuro procedures using 3D technology, and 3 surgical robots servicing 6 specialty types. Qualifications
- High-school graduate or equivalent required. A class in Anatomy and Physiology preferred.
- All candidates must have successfully completed the OR-Technician training program, recent graduate of an OR Technician program and/or the Memorial Health System on-the-job surgical technologist-training program and have previous experience as an OR Technician or have Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) or Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) licensure in the State of Illinois. (LPN candidates must be a graduate of an accredited school or practical nursing with a current license to practice in the State of Illinois).
- Attends JCAHO, OSHA, and hospital/nurse manager-specified mandatory inservices. Obtains four contact hours in area of interest.
- Meets credit range for the Surgical Tech Advancement Ladder as follows (12 months experience as a Surgical Technologist is required in order to apply for promotion in the ladder:
- Surgical Technologist I: Surgical Technologist who achieves a range of 0-9 credits on the Surgical Tech Advancement Behavior Grid.
- Surgical Technologist II: Surgical Technologist who achieves a range of 10 credits or above on the Surgical Tech Advancement Behavior Grid with evidence of behaviors from at least three categories on the Grid.
- Maintains current CPR certification