San Jose, CA
Working for Webcor is an experience unlike any other. One of the principles our founders baked into our DNA is that people come first. Fifty years later, our people and values remain at the center of everything we do. Our clients agree that the people we assign to their projects are what seal the deal.
Our higher calling is to build solutions and better lives. This includes devising ways to deliver diverse, high-profile, and innovative structures, many of which have become iconic parts of the skylines where we work (primarily the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, and San Diego). Our Core & Shell, Special Projects, and self-perform groups – Webcor Concrete, Webcor Drywall, and Webcor Carpentry – operate on clear transparency and collaboration.
It also means crafting career paths that support the individual goals of our people through rotation plans, volunteer opportunities, and other people-focused experiences. Cultivating an equitable, diverse, and inclusive environment is key to achieving these goals. We better lives through community engagement programs, corporate philanthropy involvement, a deep commitment to sustainability and corporate social responsibility, a culture of leadership, and an employee experience that includes competitive financial, health, and wellness benefits. Whether you are a craft specialist, an experienced professional, or a recent graduate seeking your first career opportunity, Webcor will deliver an unparalleled experience for you.
This is a flagship opportunity to align with a large tech clients innovative sustainability goal in downtown San Jose, and act as the sustainability design builder expert. This role will act as a subject matter expert, supporting, inspiring, and engaging the design and construction teams to achieve the client’s ambitious sustainability targets. This large-scale project will include infrastructure, oﬃce space, amenities, event center, parking and potentially a logistic center during future development. Your role will entail being the in-house sustainability specialist, engaging directly with the client, consultants, trade contractors and operations staff to deliver a successful high-performing development, to push boundaries at the district, campus and building scale. This role will work closely with Building Systems technical experts.
The position will focus on creating value by embedding environmental and social outcomes into everything that is done on the jobsite. You will be responsible for aligning and driving sustainability strategies through strong engagement and collaboration with project teams, communicating data driven analysis to demonstrate opportunities, undertaking research and innovating to demonstrate ongoing leadership in sustainability, and supporting full certification of all buildings.
What you will do:
- Conduct detailed analysis of project sustainability strategy and initiatives to facilitate the identification of risks, opportunities and development of social and environmental strategies aligned with clients sustainability targets.
- Support the integration of the district sustainability plan goals, with goals of exploring wider range of opportunities and strategies with the greatest impact on climate change, and continual tracking of progress towards targets
- Manage multiple stakeholder relationships, demonstrate collaboration and leadership with key stakeholders.
- Oversee design and consultant team execution in daylight modeling, acoustical analysis, high-performance mechanical evaluations, lifecycle analysis, healthy materials, recycled water integration, building energy systems, embodied carbon accounting, and waste reduction, and other relevant sustainability scopes.
- Support the submittal review and documentation and data collection required for LEED (or other) third party certifications.
- Understand response strategy to regulatory & municipal landscape and specific client & partner needs
- Develop RFPs for sustainability consultants and manage contracting as required by project teams
- Support early design efforts associated with sustainability during concept, schematics, detail design and construction documents through construction of both core & shell and interiors.
- Quantify embodied carbon impact through full cycle of material procurement, with utilization of digital platforms (EC3) and collaboration with design team
- Participation in external sustainability committees and working groups (as required).
- Consolidation, analysis and communication of sustainability related data for the businesses to monitor performance and enable strategy development.
- Through best practice reporting and case studies, assist in demonstrating the financial benefits of the sustainability initiatives
What you need to succeed:
- College degree in Engineering, Construction, Environmental Science, Sustainable Development, Property, or relevant equivalent.
- At least five years’ experience in a sustainability role including industry experience.
- Possess at least one of the following: Current LEED AP Accreditation, WELL AP, TRUE Advisor
- Experience working in the construction industry is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency demonstrated in: LEED Online, Embodied Carbon in Construction Calculator (EC3), Microsoft Office and other software tools required.
- Proficiency preferred, but not required in: Environmental compliance, Environmental management in construction, Green building programs and regulations (LEED, CalGreen, Title 24, WELL Building Standard, Zero Net Energy), MEP Design and Construction, TRUE Zero Waste.
- Exposure in construction, building physics, energy analysis, on-site PV, Geothermal and battery storage systems preferred.
- Experience with circularity and material disassembly preferred.
- Willingness to pursue continued education in LEED, Sustainability and Environmental aspects for project needs.
This is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned. Webcor is AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.