Sustainable Design Leader- Green Building Certification Manager
San Francisco, CA
We are currently seeking a Sustainable Design Leaderto join our team. As a Sustainable Design Leader, you will be responsible forthe overall Sustainable Design leadership of the regional practice as well as promotingquality design efforts of all departments and is acutely involved in the positioning of the practice as well as the pursuit, win, and delivery of projects. This role will be focused primarily on Green Building Certification.
- Initiate project sustainable design concepts and idea discussions and provide guidance to design teams during project design development.
- Serve as a client liaison for the HOK project team in an active and contributing role throughout the life of the project. Maintains an ongoing client relationship, post occupancy.
- Serve as Project Sustainable Design Principal on selected projects.
- Guide and advise design teams on projects, providing sustainable design input to ensure consistent and high-quality design throughout the studio. Conduct technical and sustainable design reviews of in-house projects.
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of sustainable design presentations to clients and drive consultant work to achieve design goals.
- Responsible for preparing fee and workload projections for assigned projects.
- Understand and enforce conditions of client contract
- Mentor by coaching and motivating design teams and individuals. Foster an environment of mutual respect, open communication and trust within team, department, and throughout the office.
- Participate in interviews and recruiting of professional staff.
- Responsible for the development and execution of the regional business unit plan and managing the business unit’s marketing strategy; as well as the overall branding and development of HOK’s Sustainable Design Practice.
- Participate in developing the annual business plan for the regional practice.
- Identifies new business opportunities while developing current client relationships. Listens for and seeks out new projects which may exist or are being formulated.
- Participate in selected marketing and business development opportunities. Acts as key presenter in new project interviews.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with consultants, contractors and community stakeholders resulting in increased potential business opportunities..
- Assist in development of fee proposals for marketing proposals and contract negotiation.
- Assist Marketing Department in development of marketing campaigns, materials, webinars, etc. and overall proposal preparation. Provides oversight to marketing staff in the development of standard materials that describe the design portfolio, systems, and processes
- Assists in preparation of award submittals.
- Assists in the preparation of press releases and other materials relevant to core practice and sustainable design practice.
- Participates in local or state professional associations, maintains active membership, and attends conferences valued by clients as appropriate.
- Serves as mentor/advisor to sustainability and other regional staff.
- Prepares and delivers design staff evaluations; responsible for performance development, compensation decision-making and allocation processes of department.
- Supports diversity and develops continuing education opportunities (e.g. site visits, lectures, road trips) to expose design staff to influences which will stimulate design creativity and innovation.
- Participates in interviews and recruiting of professional staff.
- Encourages staff exploration and innovation to achieve project design excellence and continual improvement.
- Significant talent in sustainable design integration, design development and project leadership for large-scale projects.
- Advanced knowledge of sustainability, integrated design, trends, construction methodology, materials application and manufacturer-supplier relationships.
- Advanced knowledge in certification standards (LEED, BREEM, LBC etc.)
- Ability to manage the sustainable design group and project design teams with a collaborative leadership style.
- Ability to think strategically, implements change, enforces policy and resolve conflict.
- Thorough understanding of project work plans, schedules, staffing, and budgets. Demonstrated ability to execute projects profitably.
- Proven ability to prioritize oneself and the work of others in order to meet deadlines and provide high quality service to clients.
- Proven ability to create and maintain strong working relationships with external clients.
- Proven ability to masterfully present, effectively sell and negotiate the services of HOK.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of buildingSMART, Building Information Modeling (BIM) and Integrated Project Delivery (IDP).
- Proficiency in the basic technical skills of the following computer skills:
- Proficiency in Deltek Vision highly preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel Outlook and Adobe Creative Suite required.
- Proficiency in Newforma preferred.
- Understanding of and ability to interpret and apply results from early modeling software: Vasari, Ecotect, DIVA, Radiance, DAYSIM, COMFEN, etc.
- Knowledge of Revit, AutoCAD and Sketchup preferred.
- Understanding of 3D Modeling software such as 3D Studio Max and Viz 2006 preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in interior design, architecture, engineering or similar field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- 10 years’ experience with large architectural firm or environmental consultancy including at least 5 years as senior level sustainable design Leader with supervisory experience.
- Published and/or award winning projects a plus.
- Registered Architect or Professional Engineer with current license preferred.
- LEED credential required within 6 months of employment.
HOK is a drug-free workplace. HOK is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.