Synthetic Polymer/Organic Chemist
Are you the kind of person that is always thinking, sketching, seeking, and adjusting? Who needs to understand how things work and then figure out how they can work better? Are you a passionate, tenacious, solver who loves to work with others who share your drive? Are you positive, constructive, and ingenious?
Are you always solving?
Then we’d like to meet you and bet you’d like to meet us.
Ashland has an exciting opportunity for a Synthetic Polymer/Organic Chemist to join Ashland Specialty Ingredients G. P. as a member of our Applied Research Team in Global R&D. This position will report to a Group Leader.
This position will be located in Wilmington, DE.
This role will have access to controlled technology and depending on the nationality and citizenship of the employee a deemed export license may be required.
The responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Design, initiate and execute synthetic strategies for ongoing new product development growth projects.
- Function as a technical liaison to applications and marketing groups to advance new products and solve challenging technical problems for customers.
- Work closely with process and production engineers to scale-up new products at global manufacturing sites.
- Lead and supervise lab technician(s) in safe, effective implementation of synthetic and process experiments.
- Independently summarize and interpret analytical and application data.
- Author technical reports and present technical results to internal and external audiences.
- Maintain lab notebooks and logbooks in accordance with company guidelines.
- Comply with company procedural guidelines, laboratory procedures, and safety programs.
In order to be qualified for this role, you must possess the following:
- PhD in Organic Chemistry or Polymer Synthesis
- Strong background in synthetic organic chemistry required
- Good structure-property understanding of diverse application areas
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in highly collaborative cross-functional environment involving global customers, labs, and manufacturing sites
- Self-starting individual
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States
The following skill sets are preferred by the business unit:
- Experience in the synthesis of water-soluble derivatives of cellulose, guar, and related natural polysaccharide polymers
- Experience in heterogeneous derivatization reaction chemistry and reaction chemistry in polyphasic media
- Fundamental understanding of polymer physical chemistry
- Experience in the design of polysaccharide derivative ingredients for Personal Care, Pharmaceutical, or Coatings application areas
In more than 100 countries, the people of Ashland LLC. (NYSE: ASH) provide the specialty chemicals, technologies and insights to help customers create new and improved products for today and sustainable solutions for tomorrow. Our chemistry is at work every day in a wide variety of markets and applications, including architectural coatings, automotive, construction, energy, personal care and pharmaceutical. Visit www.ashland.com to see the innovations we offer.
At Ashland our vision is to be a leading, global specialty chemicals company whose inspired and engaged employees add value to all we touch. In fact our people, employees, customers and vendors define who we are. They are the driving force behind everything we do.
Not only do we value our customers but we value our employees, and we work to offer them a dynamic and challenging environment. We hold ourselves to high standards at Ashland, and we value integrity and honesty.
Ashland has a history of attracting the best people and keeping them. The reasons are simple: industry competitive salary and benefits, pay-for-performance incentive plans and a diverse work environment where employees feel challenged and valued. People come to Ashland and stay. As a growing Fortune 500 specialty chemicals company, we offer opportunities for development and advancement throughout our global organization. Our values define who we are and what we care about as a company. If you are looking for a relationship with a company instead of simply a job, this may be a great fit.
Ashland is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. NOTE: We do not accept resumes from external staffing agencies or independent recruiters for any of our openings unless we have a signed recruiting agreement in place to fill a specific position.