Test Site Assistant
University of Illinois System
SHIELD Illinois is a screening testing program and infrastructure that deploys the University of Illinois’ innovative saliva test across the state. We save lives by curbing the spread of COVID-19, while reducing productivity loss and prioritizing employee wellbeing. SHIELD Illinois uses cutting-edge PCR technology and robotics to deliver fast reliable results to patients. We strive to have a positive impact on patients’ lives across Illinois by making complicated testing and long turnaround times a thing of the past.
SHIELD Illinois is actively seeking motivated Test Site Assistants to join SHIELD in either Central Illinois or Chicagoland. Test Site Operators work on our Community Testing Teams, reporting to their Team Leader. This job is ideal for someone that would like to gain some frontline healthcare experience and thrives in a diverse team-environment.
1. Greet visitors, log patients, and direct them through the SHIELD saliva testing process including collecting samples.
2. Use dedicated software and equipment to track test samples.
3. Work with partners to transport samples to associated labs, and occasionally transport samples to actual labs.
4. Set-up, clean, maintain, adjust, and tear down the testing site setup, as needed.
5. Dispose of properly labeled biohazardous materials, according to regulation.
6. Follow legal requirements, provide safety information, and ensure compliance with standard testing procedures.
7. Assist in maintaining stock of consumable supplies.
8. Evaluate and notify others of equipment repair, or vehicle maintenance needs.
9. Ensure that the site and workplace remains a safe environment, including proper PPE, utilizing social distancing, and sanitation standards.
10. Handle patient data as according to law.
- Bachelor's degree
- Ability to work on a team
- Strong client focus
- Excellent communication skills
- Lift, move, carry, push and/or pull up to approximately 50 pounds
- Willing to travel to client sites to provide testing services?
- Ability to work 10 hour shifts, 4 times a week
- Valid driver’s license
- Knowledge of medical safety protocols helpful
- Any understanding of COVID screening or medical transport would be
- Experience working with diverse groups of people helpful, but not required
- Some experience in a healthcare or medical field would be beneficial, but not required
- Experience working with patient records, HIPAA, or IDPH would help, but again is not
Pay rate: $20/hr
Schedule: flexible, up to 40 hrs/wk
Locations: Metro Chicago/Rockford/Central IL/Springfield/Champaign Areas
This is a temporary, hourly, non-benefit eligible position. For full consideration,
candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and
names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references at
The System Office conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=4292&pageId=1411899
System Human Resource Services
The System Office is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity and diversity. The System Offices welcome applications from women, underrepresented minorities, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual minority groups and other candidates who will lead and contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=4292&pageId=1411899