Tobacco Treatment Counselor
Boston Medical Center (BMC) is more than a hospital. It's a network of support and care that touches the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in need each year. It is the largest and busiest provider of trauma and emergency services in New England. Emphasizing community-based care, BMC is committed to providing consistently excellent and accessible health services to all-and is the largest safety-net hospital in New England. The hospital is also the primary teaching affiliate of the nationally ranked Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) and a founding partner of Boston HealthNet - an integrated health care delivery systems that includes many community health centers. Join BMC today and help us achieve our Vision 2030 which is a long-term goal to make Boston the healthiest urban population in the world.Position: Tobacco Treatment CounselorDepartment: PulmonarySchedule: Part Time POSITION SUMMARY:
The Tobacco Research and Treatment Center at Boston Medical Center seeks a tobacco counselor to provide behavioral counseling to help smokers stop smoking. Working under the direction of the Medical Director of the Tobacco Treatment Program and Tobacco Education and Treatment Coordinator, the counselor will be responsible for assessing and counseling outpatients and inpatients who use tobacco.ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
- Conduct new and follow up patient assessment sessions via telehealth or in person. Assists patients in moving through the stages of change by providing supportive counseling in a series of one-on-one coaching sessions or group sessions. Manage relapse prevention, follow up and after care services.
- Complete inpatient tobacco consults via in person or telehealth.
- Provides support for vaping counseling as needed
- Provide resource information and motivational coaching based on patient's completed assessment and stage of change for smoking cessation
- Conduct carbon monoxide and spirometry testing as needed.
- Develops individualized treatment plans, including appropriate medications for patients in collaboration with the patient's medical team. Documents the counseling sessions along with the plan of care for each patient.
- Schedules inpatient and outpatient counseling and follow up sessions.
- Assists the Tobacco Coordinator to maintain patient database on smoking cessation for inpatient and outpatients
- Assists the Tobacco Coordinator to track smoking quit rates for outpatients
- Assists the Tobacco Coordinator to run reports on the patient volume and documentation compliance
A Bachelor's Degree in health education, psychology, social work or related field is required; a master's degree is preferred. CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Tobacco Treatment Specialist certification is required within 6 months of employment. EXPERIENCE:
Experience in counseling and group facilitation is required; 6 months experience in tobacco treatment is highly desirable.
3-5 years of direct patient care experience with respiratory diseases and consequences of smoking (i.e. Registered respiratory therapist RRT).KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Applicants should have good clinical and patient counseling skills as well as interest and ability to facilitate group programs.
- Proficiency in word processing and database management skills is necessary.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Access, Excel and Word preferred. Must demonstrate strong organizational and communication skills and ability to work independently but also work well as part of a team.
Req id: 17697