Manages and supervises all activities within the Distribution Center operations. Works closely with the D.C. Manager to understand and support the achievement of the facility goals for cost, quality, and safety.
- Monitor daily warehouse functions including order filling, checking, packing, truck loading, receiving, put away, cycle counting, replenishments, sanitation, and maintenance. Responsibility dependent on department or assignment.
- Work closely with the Distribution Center Manager, other Department Managers and Supervisors to establish and understand the goals of the DC and support achievement of the facility goals from a cost and productivity standpoint.
- Work with the Supervisors to develop plans to fix any operational issues that are encountered within the department. Initiate communication with the DC Manager to notify him or her of any operational or personnel issues that may negatively impact operations.
- Review performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement and to determine areas needing cost reduction and program improvement
- Monitor and adjust department man hours needed on a daily basis. Must take into account PTO, travel teams, and known busy times throughout the year.
- Oversee the Expedite (customer service) function.
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory, federal, state, local and Patterson policies and Standard Operating Procedures (ISO, VAWD, AIB, DEA, etc). Includes recalls and vendor returns.
- Establishes daily/weekly projections as it relates to operational flow for departmental planning. Develop long range forecasts/plans for expected volume.
- Develop action plans to improve the operational processes; promote continuous improvement strategies.
- In collaboration with the DC Manager, manages all staffing functions (interviewing, hiring, assignment of duties, training, cross-training, personnel development, performance reviews and discipline) for approximately a 40 - 60 member workforce.
- Oversees the annual and warehouse review process. Reviews input from supervisors and makes decisions relative to promotions.
- Review batting average reports and oversee action plans for performance improvements.
- Participate in the training and implementation on new procedures or process changes (including SOP's and DC specific policies) that need to be introduced to the DC personnel. Provide input for future SOP's.
- Conduct weekly or bi-weekly communication meetings with supervisors and warehouse staff.
- Prepare all new supervisors for their role by providing appropriate training and ongoing mentoring.
- Establishes and initiates succession training plans for subordinates; identifies potential succession planning candidates to upper management.
- Manage the training and documentation processes for all areas defined by the Human Resources and Regulatory departments.
- Manage and increase the effectiveness and efficiencies of the employee warehouse program; submit annual recommendations to senior management for metric (LPH/LPE) adjustments.
- Provide DC Network support when needed (may include travel)
- Create a positive work environment that promotes creativity, team work and recognition.
- Establishes, supports, promotes and participates in network, facility and departmental activities designed to strengthen and improve moral, team work and improve the overall work environment.
- Provide warehouse safety leadership and is responsible for safety performance in the DC.
- Approve timecards on a weekly and bi-monthly basis.
- Track, analyze and communicate Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to staff and DC Management
- Plan and coordinate activities between various departments to ensure maximum customer satisfaction; engage monthly with PLSI counterparts to discuss trends, issues and operations.
- Work with DC Manager to establish and manage annual budget; develops department specific capital expenditures and expenses. Monitor DC expenses on a continuous basis.
- Participate in Quality Management Systems (QMS) projects and committees. Actively supports QMS initiatives.
- Manages programs such as Safety Program, Verified Accredited Warehouse Distribution (VAWD) Program, American Institute of Bakery (AIB) standards, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
Walking and standing
Air and auto travel to distribution centers, supplier facilities and other office locations within the U.S.
The distribution center is a warehouse for the storage and distribution of dental, medical and veterinary supplies and equipment. In general, the building's primary work area consists of pallet storage racking, roller storage and small item storage shelving. The facility uses powered conveyor systems for the transportation of products. Pallet jacks and forklifts are used for palletized products. Some positions require use of safety equipment, which is provided as needed.
Education/Training & Skills
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience required
- Willingness to acquire knowledge of PLSI Warehouse Management System, DC Menu and support programs (example: manifest, pedigree, track and trace,).
- Experience using computerized inventory systems is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are essential.
- Strong organization skills, attention to detail and follow through to resolve any outstanding issues.
- Strong time management skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Relevant Work Experience
- Three - five years warehouse leadership experience in Receiving, Inventory Control or Shipping
This job description is subject to change, at management's discretion, at any time.
We provide competitive benefits, unique incentive programs and rewards for all eligible employees.
Please click here for an overview of benefits offered.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
As a people-first company, Patterson promotes a culture that embodies and celebrates diversity and inclusivity. We believe our employees’ unique experiences and differences are what strengthen us and drive our success. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. We are Patterson. We welcome you.