Under direct supervision, performs routine tasks related to the operation of water and/or wastewater treatment facilities. Assists with maintaining plant compliance with EPA standards and state water Commission. Performs general cleaning of grounds and buildings. Ensures plant safety and sanitary requirements.Department
Under direct supervision, performs routine tasks related to the operation of water and/or wastewater treatment facilities. Assists with maintaining plant compliance with EPA standards and state water Commission. Performs general cleaning of grounds and buildings. Ensures plant safety and sanitary requirements.
- Operates and maintains water and/or wastewater treatment equipment, ensuring compliance with state and federal environmental protection limits.
- Monitors and samples well and groundwater upon entry to the system. Adjusts treatment levels when below-standard variances are detected. Samples water prior to exiting system.
- Detects and reports atypical conditions, such as: damaged, malfunctioning and tampered meters, detecting and reporting leaks, high/low consumption, exposed wiring and other safety hazards.
- Conducts ongoing repairs to equipment, or shuts down equipment for more extensive maintenance and repair, activating alternate equipment as needed. Requests services of outside maintenance vendor for major repairs and overhauls.
- Activates pumps, valves and other processing equipment to move water through various treatment processes. Disposes of waste materials removed from water in line with Company procedures and government controls.
- Assists Lead Operator with emergency procedures in the event of overflow or spill of chemicals or unpurified water. Follows safety protocol.
- Adds chemicals to water by predetermined formula. Advises Lead Operator when minimum inventory levels of these materials have been reached.
- Reads and interprets meters and gauges on central control panel, or at individual machines or stages in the treatment process. Adjusts controls as needed. Retrieves computer reports on treatment process.
- Prepares reports and maintains logs on meter readings, tests, chemical and equipment usage, and all other recordkeeping requirements; maintains various Company records and other reports as required by the state.
- Back-washes filters and basins; handles chlorine in a safe, effective manner; assures proper working order of chlorine-related equipment.
- Cleans and maintains treatment plant, pumping stations and wells; prepares and paints equipment, walls and floors.
- Ensures regulatory compliance and adherence to Company policies and standards.
- Maintains a safe working environment and reports safety concerns to Area Manager.
- Constant, independent travel daily between worksites on Company time.
- Must work On-Call in rotation as scheduled; responds to emergency situations as required.
- Completes facility and vehicle inspections, along with related follow-up.
- Assists w repairs of water/wastewater treatment plant equipment.
- Forwards customer inquiries on to Operator II or Lead Operator.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless utility service.
- Ensures that facilities and grounds are kept clean and orderly and comply with Company standards.
- May install and read water meters.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required: MS Word, Excel; ability to learn internal software programs
- Ability to read meters, charts and gauges and accurately maintain records of plant operations.
- Ability to read and comprehend written technical information and to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to review, classify, categorize, prioritize and/or analyze data.
- Ability to perform mathematical equations to determine chemical doses required for flow rates and proper treatment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers and regulatory agencies.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to operate, maneuver and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
Required: HS Diploma or GED
Currently holds first-level operator license per state regulation, or ability to attain within 1 year of employment; may be in the process of obtaining second-level license; must maintain a valid driver's license.
Requires 2 - 4 years mechanical experience, including at least 1 year specializing in chemical treatment of water and/or wastewater and/or a minimum of 1 year in water and/or wastewater utility field with experience in the operation and maintenance of ground-water supplied water systems and associated distribution system.
Moderate to heavy physical demands, including lifting (75 lbs.), walking (10+ miles daily), climbing and mechanical repair.
Handheld and/or Blackberry, laptop; water and/or wastewater facility equipment and machinery including pumps, aerators, chemical feed equipment, booster pumps, etc.; jack hammer and other construction equipment; may operate heavy equipment; operates a Company issued motor vehicle.
Within service area.
May include weekend scheduling; on-call, emergency call duty and paid overtime may be required.
This document describes typical duties and responsibilities and is not intended to limit management from assigning other work as desired.
Management maintains the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Corix Group of Companies is an E-Verify participating employer.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth (or related medical condition), or any other characteristic protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.