Certified Yoga Instructor
The Certified Yoga Instructor will lead members, in a group environment, through a pre-arranged yoga practice designed to enhance overall wellness while ensuring that the safety of the members is not compromised. The Certified Yoga Instructor will also serve as a resource to educate members on the value of a strong and consistent yoga practice.
Arrive at class location 10 to 15 minutes ahead of scheduled start time to be available to interact with members, answer questions, inquire about their yoga practice and experience, introduce and orient new participants. Yoga Instructors should know their participants on an individual basis and have a good sense of their capabilities and objectives.
Clothing should be appropriate yoga attire. It should not prohibit participants from seeing proper form, alignment and movement of the body. However, clothing should not be revealing in an inappropriate manner. When possible, Instructors should wear Gold’s Gym branded attire. Proper footwear should be worn at all times.
Prepare appropriate music for class. Ensure all equipment is functioning correctly and have microphones ready.
During Class Responsibilities:
- Introduce yourself and the format of the class.
- Inquire if there are any “first-timers” in the group and if so, assess their ability level in as private a manner as possible.
- Make sure all verbal instructions are clear and that the volume, tempo of music and overall atmosphere is conducive to hearing, teaching, learning and having fun.
- Continually monitor participants to ensure all participants are using correct form. Offer variations of the routine to accommodate all ability levels.
- Create a motivational and fun environment for all participants.
After Class Responsibilities:
- Remove all music and return microphone to proper place.
- Make sure room is in order for the next class to begin.
- Answer any questions/concerns participants may have.
- Solicit feedback from participants about the class.
- Make sure that class begins and ends promptly. If necessary, make adjustments to the flow of the class to ensure adherence to the schedule.
- If the Instructor is teaching the last class of the day, please follow proper closing procedures as outlined by the Group Exercise Director for the individual facility.
- In the event that a Instructor cannot fulfill a scheduled class, it is his/her responsibility to find a qualified/approved substitute and notify the Group Exercise Director if there is a problem finding a substitute.
- Instructors must be dependable and consistent in their class schedules. Anyone committing to teach a class should make all arrangements so that substitutes or cancellations are a rare occurrence.
- Attend all required staff meetings as necessary.
- Ensure that proper time recording procedures are followed correctly and in a timely manner.
- Prepare any incident and/or witness reports as necessary in the event of accidents.
- Maintain a positive and professional attitude towards his/her responsibilities, fellow employees, and members.
- Promote Gold’s Gym and its programming as much as possible.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Knowledge of safe yoga technique and group exercise principles.
- Knowledge of basic physiology and body mechanics.
- Positive and effective interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to operate and troubleshoot audio equipment
- Appropriate certification from a national certifying body.
- Current CPR certification and basic first aid training is required.
- Physical demands include, but are not limited to the ability to lift light weights, bending, squatting, jumping, running, reaching, walking, hopping, spinning and kicking.