How to make your cover letter stand out: Cover letter makeover
Too many job seekers use their cover letters to express what they want; however, a truly effective letter speaks to the employer’s needs. If your cover letter seems like it's just not doing the job, revamp it by showcasing your accomplishments and focusing on the employer’s requirements.
How to make a cover letter stand out
- Focus on your value proposition—how would having you as an employee benefit the company?
- Highlight your career accomplishments
- Align your skills with the employer's requirements
For inspiration, take a look at our “before and after” cover letter makeover.
Sample Cover Letter: Before
The “before” cover letter sample is OK, but to stand out in today’s job market, there has to be more substance. The job seeker explains that she has a strong work ethic and a successful career, but doesn’t provide any evidence of her accomplishments. See the “before” cover letter sample here.
Sample Cover Letter: After
The “after” cover letter example is a strong statement of the job seeker’s value proposition. She includes examples of her accomplishments so the employer can see exactly how she would be an asset to the company if hired. See the “after” cover letter sample here.
More Cover Letter Help
- Need ideas for your cover letter format? Check out Monster’s cover letter examples.
- Have a specific question about your cover letter? Visit Monster's Resume & Cover Letter Tips forum to get free advice.