15 totally open-ended interview questions
Not all interview questions have one answer, in fact, most don’t.
You’re sitting in a job interview prepared to speak to your qualifications, your resume and why you’d be a perfect fit for the open position. Then you get hit with the following:
If you were a dinosaur, which dinosaur would you be and why?
The standard job interview can go in a variety of directions, and can sometime get taken way off course. Other times, interviewers are trying to get a good sense of personality from the candidate to see if they’ll be a culture fit.
Either way, it’s your job as the candidate to turn these into answers your recruiter or new manager might want to hear.
How would you answer the following open-ended interview questions?
- Are you creative? If so, why, if not why not?
- What gets you out of bed in the morning?
- What do you do when you’re running late?
- If you could go anywhere on business travel, where would you go? Why?
- What’s your favorite website?
- What is the most important meal of the day?
- What do your family/friends think of your career path?
- What is the first thing you’d put on your new desk?
- Who is the first person you’d want to meet with here on your first day?
- What’s your favorite word?
- Would you rather lose your phone or your laptop?
- Mountain or beach vacation?
- Office with no windows or a cube near a window?
- Tell me a little bit about yourself.
- What does your best friend like about you?