Cover letter sample in response to a Monster job posting
You see a job on Monster but are unsure how the cover letter you send should read. Get answers here.
If you see a job posting online and it sounds exquisitely suited to you, you probably feel compelled to submit not only your resume but a customized cover letter as well. Good thinking! But if your'e like most job seekers, you'll likely struggle with constructing an effective cover letter. What should it say? What shouldn't it say? How is it different from a resume? Is a cover letter really necessary?
Don't sweat it! Think of a cover letter like a friendly—but still professional—introduction to the company's hiring manager. You want to explain how and why you are a perfect fit for their needs. To do that, you need to include examples of your skills and past accomplishments, as well as your enthusiasm for the company to which you're applying. You don't need to make overzealous proclamations or stuff your letter with insider industry-speak; just be yourself and talk about why you're awesome at what you do.
For inspiration, view our sample cover letter below:
Sample cover letter
Dear [insert name or "Hiring Manager" if name is unknown]:
Your advertisement on Monster for a [insert job title] fits my experience and qualifications perfectly, and I am writing to express my interest in and enthusiasm for the position. As an accomplished sales leader, I have achieved seven-figure revenue growth, international market penetration and successful product launches for leading global corporations during my career.
In addition to my desire to join your team, you will find I am a dedicated and driven professional whose recent accomplishments include:
- An increase of international sales from 1% of the company's total revenue to 75%, capturing more than half of the entire European market and one-third of the Latin American market within two years.
- Dramatic expansion of customer base, leading to seven-figure revenue growth rates that far exceed the pace of larger, more established competitors.
- Development of a 75-member dealer network across 30 countries in six continents.
- Attainment of 100% customer retention rate through expert relationship-building skills and a commitment to a solution-focused, service-first sales approach.
- Launch of a new London office, expected to double sales revenue by 2020.
- Introduction of three innovative product lines, following comprehensive market research and competitive-intelligence gathering.
Your software products are truly on the cutting edge of technology—you offer products that can change the way a company conducts business on the Internet. I am excited by this technology and would be able to translate this excitement to a business benefit for your current and future clients. If you agree that my qualifications are a close fit to your needs, I would be delighted to meet with you personally to discuss strategies for expanding [name of company's] market presence.
I will follow up with you in a few days to answer any questions you may have. In the meantime, you may reach me at [phone number] or via email at [email address]. I look forward to our conversation.
Now, about your resume...
A cover letter is just one half of a solid job application; your resume also needs to showcase your skills in such a way that a hiring manager will quickly observe your strengths and experience. Not sure yours is ready for a job search? Get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service. You'll get detailed feedback in two business days, including a review of your resume's appearance and content, and a prediction of a recruiter's first impression. Don't guess at what you think will get you noticed. Let Monster's experts show you how to stand out from the crowd.