Sample Resume for a Substitute Teacher
There’s always more to learn about how to polish your resume for teaching jobs. View and download the Substitute Teacher resume template in Word.
Learn more about education careers.
Manufacturing Sales Rep resume template
812 Cedar Lane
Sometown, TX 75000
Home: (201) 555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org
CERTIFIED SUBSTITUTE TEACHER
Five Years of Substitute Teaching Experience * Bilingual Fluency in English & Spanish
- Five years of K-12 substitute teaching experience reinforced by an additional two years of experience managing children's home-school program.
- Credentials include current TX substitute teaching certification, fluency in Spanish and a BA in English.
- Passion for quality education and student/school success.
Skills and knowledge areas include:
- K-12 Instruction (All Subjects)
- ESL / ESOL Instruction
- Ability to Follow Lesson Plans
- Student Records Management
- At-Risk & Special Needs Students
- Formal & Informal Learner Assessment
- Classroom Management & Discipline
- Parent / Teacher Communications
- Student Engagement
- Technology Integration
- After-School Programs
- IEP Documentation
Substitute Teacher (K-12), 2008-Present; 2002-2006 -- SOMETOWN SCHOOL DISTRICT (Sometown, TX)
Returned to the classroom in substitute teaching role after taking time off to home-school three children. Fulfill both short- and long-term substitute assignments across all subject areas, effectively teaching students of varied academic/age levels (grades K-12) and diverse cultural backgrounds. Instruct classes of as many as 24 students; communicate with teachers, administrators and parents; and build a positive rapport with students.
Key Contributions & Educational Outcomes:
- Consistently praised for dedication, reliability, organization and effectiveness as one of school district's most in-demand substitutes. Filled in for permanent teachers at a moment's notice; closely adhered to lesson plans; and kept students motivated, engaged and focused.
- Repeatedly selected as a long-term substitute for teachers on maternity or extended medical leave.
- Frequently subbed for absent ESL/ESOL, high school Spanish and special education teachers as one of the few substitute teachers qualified in these areas. Showed resourcefulness and teaching effectiveness in meeting the needs of students with limited English language proficiency as well as learning disabilities.
- Voluntarily stepped in to run several after-school programs (e.g., girls' volleyball coaching, cheerleading coaching and after-school tutoring) when permanent teachers were unable to fill these roles.
- Incorporated technology into students' learning activities for varied academic disciplines. Efforts proved so successful in enhancing student understanding of material that they resulted in invitation to lead districtwide teacher in-service on "Technology Integration across the Curriculum."
Home-School Teacher, 2006-2008 (Sometown, TX)
Managed home-school program and daily instruction for triplets (all diagnosed with developmental learning disorders), using CITA-accredited Calvert® curriculum (as well as others) for grades 1 and 2. Incorporated creative lessons, activities and experiential learning into daily teaching and created a structured yet enjoyable learning environment. Elevated children's social, language and cognitive skills to enable them to enter public school and thrive within a mainstreamed, third-grade classroom.
EDUCATION & CREDENTIALS
BA in English, Minor in Spanish,2000 -- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS (Denton, TX)
- Overseas study: Spent two summer semesters in Spain as a student in full-immersion language program
Texas Substitute Teaching Certification,2002 (Renewed in 2008)