Federal Resume Sample
A federal resume may easily span multiple pages as it’s important to address the requirements outlined in the job announcement. This federal resume template created by Monster resume expert Kim Isaacs provides general formatting and content ideas, but take the time to build out your federal resume if a multiple-page document is appropriate for your career level and target job. Include comprehensive details of job duties, accomplishments, skills, and training to show that you meet eligibility requirements.
The 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. territories are all under the charge of the U.S. government. As you probably learned in grade school, the federal government is divided into three branches: legislative, judicial, and executive. Within the three branches are myriad departments and agencies that perform specific functions for the government.
- The legislative branch includes Congress and its supporting agencies, such as the Capitol Police, the Congressional Budget Office, and the Library of Congress.
- The judicial branch includes the Supreme Court of the United States; lower courts like the Courts of Appeals; special courts, including the Bankruptcy Courts and Tax Court; and support organizations like the Federal Judiciary Center and Federal Court Interpreters.
- The executive branch includes the President and 15 executive departments in total, including the Departments of Defense, Labor, and State; and related agencies. Additionally, the executive branch includes independent agencies, such as the Central Intelligence Agency; boards and committees, such as the Endangered Species Program; and quasi-official agencies, such as the National Gallery of Art.
Federal Resume Sample
55 Lincoln Ave. * Sometown, VA 22038 * Phone: 555-555-5555 * Email: email@example.com
United States Citizen * Veteran’s Preference: N/A
Target Position: Unit Secretary (GS-6) * Announcement#: 555555555
- Dedicated secretary offering six years of experience as an administrative support provider to C-level executives, senior managers, and cross-functional teams.
- Proactive and resourceful; able to manage multiple simultaneous projects and serve internal and external customers with excellence. Strive to make a difference in every colleague’s office experience.
- Trusted advisor guiding team members on setting priorities, handling sensitive information, and improving business processes. Excel at clearing bottlenecks and optimizing team members’ productivity.
• Administrative Support
• Office Management
• Travel & Calendar Management
• Event Coordination
• Records Management
• Accounts Payable & Receivable
• Data Entry (85 WPM)
• Phone Reception
• Customer Relations
• Executive Reports
• Official Correspondence
• Supplies Procurement
OFFICE MANAGER, 2/2018–Present
ABC Company * 55 Ivy Rd. * Sometown, VA 22039
Hours: 40 hrs./week * $45,000 per annum * Supervisor: Amy Jones * Supervisor may not be contacted
Provide administrative support and manage day-to-day operations of construction company employing 90+ statewide. Supervise a 5-person team of clerical professionals; manage $500K budget; and prepare reports, documents, and spreadsheets. Establish strong working relationships as the primary point of contact for current and prospective clients. Contribute to the people-first culture by managing a fun, welcoming, and collaborative work environment that is also organized and efficient.
- Database Management: Developed and programmed CRM, consolidating 15 Excel sheets containing information on 2,000+ clients. Enabled sophisticated customer relationship management functions.
- Human Resources Support: Entered and approved timecard information for payroll, conducted new-hire orientations, and assisted HR with managing confidential employee records. Created HR management and employee-tracking system to streamline HR functions.
- Supplies Procurement: Saved thousands of dollars annually by building productive relationships with vendors and negotiating reduced rates on supplies and services.
- Accounts Receivable: Increased cash flow by diligently following up on past-due receivables and ensuring accuracy of bills, invoices, and credit terms.
- Calendar Management: Skillfully managed 24/7 calendar and logistics for work crews throughout a 20-county area as well as multiple calendars for busy C-level executives.
- Recordkeeping: Improved protocols for filing system by organizing and labeling files, creating a solution that eliminated time-consuming searches for information.
- Phone & Email Management: Served as a positive ambassador and face of the business, communicating professionally via phone, email, and in person.
XYZ Company * 55 Corporate Dr. * Sometown, VA 22040
Hours: 40 hrs./week * $18/hr. * Supervisor: William Smart * Supervisor may be contacted: 555-555-5555
Handled administrative tasks such as calendar management, meeting coordination, phone coverage, email management, and client correspondence. Provided exceptional customer service, maintaining the highest level of professionalism at all times. Entrusted with protecting sensitive, confidential, and proprietary information.
- Document Preparation: Prepared a variety of documents and materials, including memoranda, reports, tabulations, customer correspondence, PowerPoint presentations, and meeting minutes. Earned commendations for attention to detail and ability to meet demanding deadlines.
- Event Coordination: Planned and arranged events, meetings, and conferences, coordinating travel, venues, agendas, information packets, A/V equipment, and room setup.
- Executive Administrative Support: Supported senior management in completing special projects, research assignments, and ad hoc reports. Performed miscellaneous clerical duties, including ordering supplies, tracking policyholder claims, and recording premium payments.
- Customer Service: Greeted visitors and managed incoming calls and emails. Ascertained nature of business and determined appropriate course of action to ensure customer needs were met.
- Records Management: Recommended and spearheaded transition of data to the cloud, improving the organization and security of policyholder claims and information.
BACHELOR OF ARTS (BA), Major in Communications, 5/2021
ABC College * 55 College Dr. * Sometown, VA 22039
Graduated with honors (GPA: 3.8/4.0) * Attended college part-time concurrent with full-time employment
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA, 5/2015
XYZ High School * 55 Oak St. * Sometown, VA 22039
Proficient user of MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Publisher, Visio), SQL Server, SharePoint, ADP, Ceridian, SAP, QuickBooks, and MS Teams. Quick learner of new technologies, tools, and systems.
Homebuilder, Habitat for Humanity * Literacy tutor, Sometown Library * Volunteer, Feeding America
Show Off Your Federal Resume
As you can see in the sample above, a professional resume comprises multiple sections that highlight your skills and experience, resulting in a piece of personal marketing that's both impressive and easy to read. Ready to start your job search? Create a profile on Monster for free, and we can get you in touch with recruiters, send you job alerts, and much more.