Sample resume for a retail manager
Does your resume do a good job selling your skills for retail manager jobs to potential employers? Compare it to this sample resume to find out.
There are many types of retail stores, but one thing is universal: As a manager, you need to know how to make product move and encourage customers to return to your establishment.
So whether you're in the business of selling auto parts, jeans, or gardening supplies, to be considered for top retail manager jobs, you need a resume that impressively sells your skills to potential employers. For inspiration, view the sample resume for a retail manager below and download the retail manager resume template in Word.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), you'll find the highest level of employment for this job in the following states: California, Texas, Florida, New York, and Pennsylvania; and in the following metropolitan areas: New York City, Los Angeles, Houston, Chicago, and Atlanta.
As a retail manager, you can expect to earn a median wage of $38,550 per year, or $18.54 per hour, according to the BLS.
Retail Manager Resume Sample
Sometown, CA 94022 | (555) 555-5555 | email@example.com | LinkedIn URL
Award-Winning Retail Store Manager
- Big box-experienced store manager whose career with Fortune 500 retailers has been distinguished by accelerated advancement, awards and goal-surpassing performance-to-plan.
- Successful in both startup and turnaround management roles. Propelled multiple stores to #1 in sales and customer satisfaction district-wide while simultaneously lowering shrink and staff turnover to all-time lows.
- Comprehensive background leading all aspects of retail operations (e.g., P&L, merchandising, sales, customer service, inventory, personnel and payroll management) reinforced by bilingual fluency in Spanish and extensive retail management training.
Store Manager of the Year (Southern CA), ABC Stores
#1 in Sales (Southern CA), ABC Stores
Pinnacle Award (for loss-prevention excellence), ABC Stores
Service Excellence Award (#1 customer satisfaction in district), XYZ Corp.
Department Manager of the Quarter, XYZ Corp.
ABC stores, inc. | Long Beach / Los Angeles, CA
Store Manager, 2012 to Present
Assistant Store Manager, 2010 to 2012
Promoted to oversee startup and daily operations for new ABC Stores Supercenter in Long Beach. Manage a $38M, 200-employee, big-box location; direct all departments (hard lines, soft lines and grocery/perishable lines); develop merchandising and loss-control strategies; execute corporate programs, promotions and policies; and drive optimal customer satisfaction, associate productivity and P&L results.
- Led startup and grand opening of new Supercenter. Exceeded sales and profit goals by up to 8% and 12%, respectively, from first year of opening and in each ensuing year.
- Elevated Long Beach store to #1 in sales out of 58 locations in region, setting new area Supercenter year-end sales record of $38M.
- Tied for first place among 58 stores for lowest shrink in region in 2015 and earned #1 ranking in this category among 50 stores in 2016.
- Developed and launched loss-prevention program that proved so successful in deterring theft that it was rolled out nationwide.
- Awarded “Store Manager of the Year” (2015) as a result of superior sales and customer satisfaction results.
- Excelled at building and motivating management and hourly teams. Developed many entry-level associates to leadership positions and quickly became one of the primary trainers of new store managers across the district.
- Recognized for key role in elevating Los Angeles store to achieve #1 sales ranking (out of 22 locations) district-wide in 2014.
XYZ CORPORATION | Compton / Burbank / Inglewood, CA
Store Manager (Compton), 2010
Assistant Store Manager (Burbank / Inglewood), 2008 to 2010
Department Manager (Housewares / Electronics, Inglewood), 2007 to 2008
Advanced through promotions to become store manager of $27M location with 150+ employees. Provided strategic, operational and financial leadership and maintained national service standards in all locations.
- Propelled a near worst-to-first turnaround of Compton store, transforming one of the district’s lowest ranked stores (#15 out of 17 in sales with the highest shrink in region) to #2 in sales, #1 in customer satisfaction and third-lowest in shrink.
- Assisted Burbank store manager in driving single-year sales growth of 22% (setting a new record company-wide) to achieve #1 in district sales in 2010.
- Reversed Inglewood store’s downward spiral by overhauling systems, processes, training programs and personnel. Corrected issues such as internal theft, lagging customer service and poor morale.
Luxury, inc. | Menlo Park, CA
Store Manager Trainee, 2007
Assistant Department Manager (Women’s Wear / Housewares), 2006 to 2007
Sales Associate (Various Departments), 2005 to 2006
Recognized as one of store’s “rising stars” (elevating sales, margins, staff retention and customer satisfaction by as much 45%), resulting in selection to complete Luxury’s renowned store manager trainee program.
University Of San Diego | San Diego, CA
Courses in Business Management
Retail Management Training:
Completed 24-week management training program at Luxury as well as professional development courses throughout XYZ and ABC employment. Topics:
Store Operations Management | Grocery Operations Management | Inventory & Loss Control
P&L Statements | Customer Service | Leadership & Supervision | Merchandising & Plan-O-Grams
“May is clearly one of the district’s stand-out managers…my go-to trainer for new managers…excels in motivating associates…surpassed sales targets for our new Long Beach store from day one…delivered the region’s lowest shrink for the past two years running…” - Greg Mardell, District Manager, ABC Stores, Inc.
“…May’s success in providing turnaround leadership has been exceptional…excellent leadership skills…an innovative problem-solver…knows how to drive results…” - Ray Fisk, District Manager, XYZ Corp.
Have your resume checked out
Think of your resume as a store window that advertises all the skills and experience you have to offer. Not sure your display is enough to draw in hiring managers? Get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service. You'll get detailed feedback in two business days, including a review of your resume's appearance and content, and a prediction of a recruiter's first impression. Let the experts at Monster help you on your way to landing an awesome new job.