Sample Resume for a Retail Manager
Does your resume do a good job selling your skills as a retail manager to potential employers? For inspiration, view the sample resume below and download the retail manager resume template in Word. And if you need more help, get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's partner TopResume.
Retail Manager Resume Sample
27 Legacy Rd. #44
Sometown, CA 94022
(555) 555-5555 | email@example.com
AVAILABLE FOR RELOCATION
- Big box-experienced store manager whose 15-year career with Fortune 500 retailers has been distinguished by accelerated advancement, awards (including being named ABC Stores' Southern CA "Store Manager of the Year" in 2007) and goal-surpassing performance-to-plan.
- Successful in both startup and turnaround management roles -- have propelled multiple stores to #1 in sales and customer satisfaction district-wide while simultaneously lowering shrink and staff turnover to all-time lows.
- Comprehensive background leading all aspects of retail operations (e.g., P&L, merchandising, sales, customer service, inventory, personnel and payroll management) reinforced by bilingual fluency in Spanish and extensive retail management training.
- Retail Store Operations
- P&L Management
- Budgeting & Cost Controls
- Shrink Reduction/Loss Control
- Customer Service Excellence
- Inventory Management
- Merchandising Strategies
Long Beach / Los Angeles, CA
Leading discount retailer in the U.S., ranked #2 on the Fortune 500.
Assistant Store Manager | 2004 to 2006
- Promoted to oversee startup and daily operations for new ABC Stores Supercenter in Long Beach following superior-rated performance as assistant manager in the #1-ranked store in Los Angeles.
- Manage a $38M, 200-employee, big-box location; direct all departments (hard lines, soft lines and grocery/perishable lines)
- Enforce sound merchandising and loss control strategies
- Execute corporate programs, promotions and policies
- Drive optimal customer satisfaction, associate productivity and P&L results
- Key Results:
- Led startup and grand opening of new Supercenter. Exceeded sales and profit goals by up to 8% and 12%, respectively, from first year of opening and in each ensuing year.
- Elevated Long Beach store to #1 in sales (2008) out of 58 locations in region, setting new area Supercenter year-end sales record of $38M.
- Tied for first place among 58 stores for lowest shrink in region in 2008 and earned #1 ranking in this category among 50 stores in 2007.
- Launched award-winning loss prevention programs that proved so successful in deterring theft that they were adopted company-wide.
- Awarded "Store Manager of the Year" (2008) for Southern CA region as a result of superior sales, profit and customer satisfaction results.
- Excelled in building and motivating management and hourly teams. Developed many entry-level associates to leadership positions and quickly became one of the primary trainers of new store managers across the district.
- Recognized for key role in elevating Los Angeles store to achieve #1 sales ranking (out of 22 locations) district-wide in 2006.
Compton / Burbank / Inglewood, CA
The nation’s #2 discount chain, ranked #28 on the Fortune 500.
Assistant Store Manager (Burbank / Inglewood) | 2001-2003
Department Manager (Housewares/Electronics, Inglewood) | 1998-2001
- Advanced through promotions to become store manager of $27M location with 150+ employees
- Provided strategic, operational and fiscal leadership and maintained national presentation/service standards in all assigned locations.
- Key Results:
- Propelled a near worst-to-first turnaround of East LA (Compton) store, transforming one of the district’s lowest ranked stores (#15 out of 17 in sales with the highest shrink in region) to #2 in sales, #1 in customer satisfaction and third-lowest in shrink.
- Assisted Burbank store manager in driving single-year sales growth of 22% (setting a new record company-wide) to achieve #1 district sales in 2002.
- Reversed Inglewood store’s downward spiral by overhauling systems, processes, training programs and personnel. Corrected issues such as internal theft, lagging customer service and poor morale.
- Earned four-time honors as "Department Manager of the Quarter," resulting in promotion to assistant store manager.
Menlo Park, CA
Fortune 100 retailer of designer fashions and luxury goods.
Assistant Department Manager (Women’s Wear, Housewares) | 1996-1998
Sales Associate (Various Departments) | 1994-1995 (concurrent with college)
- Recognized as one of store’s “rising stars” (elevating sales, margins, staff retention and customer satisfaction by as much 45%), resulting in selection to complete Luxury’s renowned store manager trainee program.
San Diego, CA
Major in Business
- Store Operations Management
- Grocery Operations Management
- Inventory & Loss Control
- P&L Statements
- Customer Service
- Leadership and Supervision
- Merchandising & Plan-O-Grams
- Scheduling & Payroll Management
- Computers: MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); POS & Inventory Systems
- Foreign Language: Fluent in Spanish
- "May is clearly one of the district’s stand-out managers…my go-to trainer for new managers…excels in motivating associates… surpassed sales targets for our new Long Beach store from day one… delivered the region’s lowest shrink for the past two years running…" ~ Greg Mardell, District Manager, ABC Stores Inc. - 2010
- "...May's success in providing turnaround and change-agent leadership has been exceptional...excellent leadership skills...an innovative problem-solver…understands how to drive bottom-line results...her commitment to our company and our customers is truly inspirational..." ~ Ray Fisk, District Manager, XYZ Corp - 2003