Sample resume for a military-to-civilian transition
This sample resume for a Marine seeking a position in law enforcement shows how you can translate your military skills for a civilian job.
To be the successful job candidate in any field, it helps to have a comprehensive resume. For guidance, view the sample resume below, and download the military-to-civilian transition resume template in Word. And if you need more help, get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's partner TopResume.
Additionally, you can learn more about military careers on Monster.
Military-to-Civilian Transition Resume Sample
Jeremy W. Wilson
Sometown, CA 90000 | (555) 555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org | LinkedIn URL
Decorated police officer transitioning from the US Marine Corps Military Police (MP) to civilian law enforcement -- tour of duty ends this fall. Highly motivated to leverage achievements during MP career to serve a city or county police department.
Qualifications include a pending BA in criminal justice (currently completing final semester) and extensive experience in safety patrol, security details, undercover investigations and public-service activities. Skills include:
Law Enforcement & Public Safety
Emergency Planning & Response
Security & Surveillance Operations
Firearms Safety & Handling
Interviews & Interrogations
Crime Scene Management
US Marine Corps — Current Assignment: Camp Pendleton / Previous Deployment: Iraq
Military Police Officer, 12/06 to Present
Awarded MP position at the culmination of 12-week basic training and an additional 12 weeks of intensive, specialized MP training. Currently serve as a Military Police officer protecting lives and property, patrolling military base and preserving law and order at Camp Pendleton USMC Base.
- Earned citations for excellence in rapidly resolving crisis situations, upholding law and order, relating effectively with culturally diverse populations and protecting property and lives.
- Gained experience in accident first-responder/investigations, police patrol, report writing, felony traffic stops, search and seizures, criminal investigations and suspect interviewing, fingerprinting and processing.
- Selected for elite security details providing dignitary protection for visiting high-ranking officials.
- Infiltrated illegal drug ring operating on base and participated in undercover surveillance and “sting” operation leading to the arrest, prosecution and incarceration of guilty parties.
Recognition & Awards:
- Honored with three USMC Commendation Medals for heroic and life-saving acts of bravery, Good Conduct Medal and Combat Action Badge.
- Earned Expert Marksman Awards in both small arms and assault weapons.
- Graduated #3 in MP class, earning honors in marksmanship, mastery of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), patrol procedures and physical fitness.
Education & Credentials
Sometown State University — Sometown, CA
A in Criminal Justice Candidate GPA: 3.7
Certifications & Clearances:
- Certified in first aid, CPR, traffic accident investigations, preliminary breath test (PBT), Intoxilyzar 9000 and handcuffing/flexi-cuff procedures
- Weapons certifications: MP 9mm pistol, M4 carbine, 12-gauge shotgun, Taser X26/M26
Security Police Tactics
Levels of Force
Urban Area Force Protection
Personal Security Detail