Sample Resume for a Physical Therapist
Does your physical therapy resume need rehab? If so, check out this sample to see how you can portray your skills.
To be a successful candidate for health care jobs, resume expert Kim Isaacs says it helps to have a comprehensive resume. Does your resume for physical therapist jobs need some rehab? View the sample resume she created below and download the physical therapist resume template in Word. And if you need more help, get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's partner TopResume.
Physical Therapist Resume Sample
275 W. Preson St.
Anytown, NJ 19000
Dedicated RPT offering 11 years of acute-care experience; a history of "exemplary" ratings on performance reviews; bilingual fluency (Spanish); and solid credentials that include dual-state licensure (NY/NJ), BLS/lymphedema/CPR certifications and a master's degree in physical therapy from an AMA-/APTA-approved program. Background includes work with pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients.
Well-versed in a broad range of PT programs, treatments and modalities restoring function and mitigating disability for diseased and injured patients. Excellent interpersonal/communication skills and proficiency in patient assessment, time management and therapy-program design/execution. Enthusiastic team player, deeply committed to delivering quality care and achieving superior patient outcomes as a member of a multidisciplinary case-management team.
Registered Physical Therapist
5/2000-present, Sisters of Mercy Hospital, Newark, NJ
Provided physical therapy services for a 100-bed, specialized acute-care hospital. Assessed patients' rehabilitative needs, jointly developed patient plan of care and treatment goals and conducted physician-prescribed PT programs for medically complex patients (children through geriatric). Trained and supervised two PT assistants in all physical-rehabilitation-therapy treatments.
- Restored function for patients and prevented/lessened disabilities following disease or profound injury (including loss of limb, traumatic brain injury, stroke, lymphoma and paralysis).
- Planned and administered treatments, modalities and therapeutic exercise programs encompassing active and passive ranges of motion, muscle reeducation, massage and heat/water/ice/electrical/light stimulation.
- Instructed patients in the safe and effective use of pulleys, weights, inclined surfaces and other equipment prescribed for their treatment. Participated in wound-care treatment and helped patients adapt to the use of wheelchairs, braces, canes, crutches and prosthetic/orthotic devices.
- Performed diagnostic and prognostic exams to evaluate muscle, nerve, joint and functional abilities.
- Excelled in ability to customize/adapt conventional PT techniques to meet the special needs of individual patients.
- Provided comprehensive training in PT techniques to nursing and other medical personnel as well as family members of patients.
- Managed a high-volume caseload and organized the daily schedules of PT assistants and patients.
- Earned repeated commendations from supervisor and patients for providing high-quality, compassionate care helping patients to maximize their success and live within the limits of their capabilities.
Physical Therapy Assistant (PTA)
5/1997-5/2000 , St. Mark's Medical Center, Newark, NJ
Under the supervision of a licensed physical therapist, provided physical therapy treatments and modalities in accordance with hospital policies and procedures (acute-care setting; 40-bed facility). Worked in inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation department implementing, reviewing, revising and progressing individual PT treatment programs. Communicated with MDs, RPT and other medical professionals concerning patient status, progress and continued services needs.
- Maintained premium patient care at all times and earned highest possible rating of "exemplary" on performance review.
- Documented patients' progress and completed discharge summaries, home-program treatment plans and other forms for intra-/extra-agency personnel. Ensured all documentation was clear, concise, timely, accurate and complete.
- Supervised technicians and equipped them with information necessary to provide quality patient care.
5/2000, International University, New York, NY
- MS in Physical Therapy; graduated with honors (GPA: 3.8) while working full-time as a PTA.
5/1997, National Community College, New York, NY
- AS in Rehabilitative Services/Physical Therapy
- 6/1997-present: American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), Member
|Skill Name||Skill Level||Last Used/Experience|
|PT Treatments/Techniques||Expert||Currently used/11 years|
|Patient Assessment||Expert||Currently used/11 years|
|Diagnostics/Prognostics||Intermediate||Currently used/11 years|
|Case Management||Expert||Currently used/11 years|
|Patient Relations/Communications||Expert||Currently used/11 years|
|Quality and Consistency of Care||Expert||Currently used/11 years|
|Team Training/Supervision||Expert||Currently used/11 years|
- Licensed RPT, State of New York
- Licensed RPT, State of New Jersey
- BLS Certified
- Lymphedema Certified
- CPR Certified