Sample resume for a research scientist
Research scientists need to write well, but if resume writing doesn't come easily, experiment with this sample resume for a research scientist.
To be a successful candidate for research scientist jobs, resume expert Kim Isaacs says it helps to have a comprehensive resume. Research scientists must have excellent written communication skills, but if resume writing doesn't come easily to you, experiment with this sample resume for a midlevel research scientist that Isaacs created. You can also download the research scientist resume template in Word.
Good news: Jobs for research scientists are projected to grow by 13% (Or 16,100 jobs) from 2016 through 2026, which is faster than average, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). In terms of where the industry is flourishing, you’ll find the highest level of employment for this job in the following states: California, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, and Washington; and in the following metropolitan areas: Boston, New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle.
When it comes to salaries, as a research scientist, you can expect to make a median wage of $82,090 per year, or $39.44 per hour, according to the BLS.
Research Scientist resume template
James Rhodes, PhD
Sometown, PA 19105
Home: (555) 555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org | LinkedIn URL
Achieving Industry-Leading Advancements in Semiconductor Manufacturing
- Patented devices generating $58M in 2011.
- Next-generation polymer-based organic light-emitting diodes (POLED) technologies with quality nearly equal to SMOLEDs for less than half the cost.
- Fully integrated circuit and system solutions that delivered new bests in speed, power, frequency, reliability, linearity and yield.
ABC UNIVERSITY -- Sometown, PA
PhD in Electrical and Systems Engineering
MS in Electrical Engineering
GHI UNIVERSITY -- Sometown, PA
BS in Electrical Engineering
ABC COMPANY(one of the top 10 semiconductor manufacturers in the US) -- Sometown, PA
Research Scientist,2012 to Present
Manage industrial research laboratory and projects focused on developing devices, circuits and systems for semiconductors used by some of the world’s largest consumer electronics, telecommunications and computer suppliers.
- Led research and development of patented devices for nanoelectromechanical systems (NEMS) for mobile technologies that generated $58M in revenues for key client XYZ Co. in 2011 alone.
- Directed R&D efforts for polymer-based organic light-emitting diodes (POLEDs) that achieved nearly 90% of the quality of small-molecule organic light-emitting diodes (SMOLEDs) at a 55% lower cost.
- Designed, tested and prototyped oscillators combining high-frequency capability with robust temperature- and acceleration-insensitivity that provided for mechanical and electrical integrity at variable temperatures.
- Participated in research project that prototyped integrated-circuit and system solutions improving speed, reliability, linearity, power, frequency and yield by as much as 38%.
- Contributed to the development of surface-acoustic wave (SAW) resonators and low-voltage solutions for battery-operated handheld devices, leading to a $25M contract with a Fortune 500 consumer electronics leader.
- Earned company awards, including two-time “President’s Innovation Awards” and “Design for Manufacturability Award.”
ABC UNIVERSITY(Ivy League university with a top-ranked engineering school) -- Sometown, PA
Research Fellow, School of Engineering and Applied Science,2011 to 2012
Designed, conducted and completed research on the design and fabrication of high-frequency oscillators as well as high-quality factor vibrating mechanical structures. Co-authored grant that secured $175K in funding for semiconductor research.
- Rhodes, J. and Weston, C., “A comparison of organic and inorganic semiconductor nanomaterials for integrated-electronics solutions,” Somename Journal Vol. 4514, pp. 156-168, November 2011
- Rhodes, J., Williams, B. and Clark, P., “New design techniques to convert post-silicon devices into robust performers for commercial applications,” Somename Journal Vol. 4498, pp. 86-92, June 2010
- Rhodes, J., Smith, B. and Jones, A.H., “Innovative applications for two-terminal nanoelectromechanical bistable switches,” Somename Journal Vol. 2594, pp. 42-51, January 2010
- Rhodes, J. and Clark, P., “Minimizing the effects of parasitic elements in high-frequency oscillators,” Somename Journal Vol. 4487, pp. 97-104, September 2009
US Patent X,XXX,XXX
Device for nanoelectromechanical systems to increase resonant frequency
US Patent X,XXX,XXX
Device for nanoelectromechanical systems to lower force constants
Technology Tools (complete list on request)Unix/Linux, Windows, Perl, C, Simucad & Silvaco CAD tools, Cadence Virtuoso Layout Suite, E Language, HSPICE, Tanner AMS and MEMS Design Flows
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Semiconductor Industry Association
- Global Semiconductor Alliance
Available for Nationwide or International Relocation
Get your resume reviewed
To have a good chance of getting noticed by a hiring manager, your resume needs to highlight your skills in a way that it makes you stand apart from the competition. Not sure yours is doing a great job at that? Get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service. You'll get detailed feedback in two business days, including a review of your resume's appearance and content, and a prediction of a recruiter's first impression. Let the experts at Monster review your resume and help you land an awesome job.