Sample resume for an entry-level admin
Even if you’re just starting an administrative career, your resume needs to convey your versatility and proficiency. This sample shows you how.
Admins help keep offices running smoothly and are employed in a variety of industries, which is good news when it comes time to look for a new job. If you're looking for administrative jobs, your resume needs to convey your versatility and proficiency.
Starting out in the administrative field, you might not be sure which of your skills matter most to hiring managers. No sweat. View the sample resume for an admin below, and download the entry-level admin resume template in Word.
Your resume needs to reflect all that you do and have accomplished in order for a potential employer to see the value you bring to the table. Employers seek administrative staffers who are reliable and contribute to the smooth running of operations. Many administrative support workers have a hard time detailing their accomplishments. Some say that they just "do their jobs" and that's it. But we all know employers need specifics. Here are a few questions to get you started:
- Did you train or orient other staff on office policies and procedures?
- Did you win any awards, such as "employee of the month" or "perfect attendance"?
- Did you institute any procedures that improved office operations, enhanced customer service or reduced costs?
- Did you organize any events or meetings that positively impacted the company?
- Have you used technology to improve support functions? Have you created effective PowerPoint presentations? Did you build a customer database to improve tracking, reporting and customer service?
- Did you demonstrate the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment, while maintaining an emphasis on quality?
- Do you consistently present a professional image, both on the phone and in person, contributing to your company's positive reputation?
- Did you assist with any special projects, such as creation of a newsletter or direct-mail campaign? What were the results of the projects?
- Can you manage a multiline phone system?
- Have customers or clients commended you for providing excellent service?
In terms of salaries, as an administrative assistant, you can expect to earn a median wage of $37,870 per year, or $18.21 per hour, according to the BLS.
Entry-Level Admin Resume Sample
Sometown, NY 55555 | Phone: 917-555-5555
firstname.lastname@example.org | LinkedIn URL
Entry-Level Administrative Assistant
Administrative support professional offering versatile office management skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office programs. Strong planner and problem solver who readily adapts to change, works independently and exceeds expectations. Able to juggle multiple priorities and meet tight deadlines without compromising quality.
ABC school, Sometown, NY
Executive Assistant Certificate, in-progress
Certification: Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS), MS Office 2013
Office Management | Records Management | Database Administration | Travel Coordination
Spreadsheets/Reports | Event Management | Calendaring | Front-Desk Reception | Executive Support
MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, Project, Publisher | FileMaker Pro | Windows and Mac OS X
ABC school, Sometown, NY · Assistant / Practicum, 2016 to Present
Handle multifaceted clerical tasks (e.g., data entry, filing, records management and billing) as the assistant to the registrar and admissions offices. Coordinate travel arrangements, maintain database and ensure the delivery of premium service to students.
Quickly became a trusted assistant known for “can-do” attitude, flexibility and high-quality work. Highlights:
- Communicated with multiple departments to plan meetings and prepare new student welcome packages.
- Helped coordinate dozens of recruitment events that contributed to high enrollment levels.
- Entrusted to manage office in the supervisor’s absence. Provided timely, courteous and knowledgeable response to information requests; screened and transferred calls; and prepared school correspondence.
- Co-developed 60-page training manual that enabled faster ramp-up for newly hired support staff.
- Created PowerPoint presentation used by Office of Admissions to market executive support programs.
- Earned citations for excellence in areas including work volume, accuracy and quality; ability to learn and master new concepts; positive work ethic; and commitment to providing unsurpassed service.
Fine-tune your resume
A solid administrative resume needs to keep up with industry standards, while also highlighting your strengths and the value you'd bring to the job. Want to make sure yours is in top shape for a job search? Get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service. You'll get detailed feedback in two business days, including a review of your resume's appearance and content, and a prediction of a recruiter's first impression. It's a quick and easy way to make sure you are starting your job search on a strong note.