Academic Resume Sample
Use this resume template to create your own academic resume.
An academic resume that highlights your professional experience, as well as your achievements in education and publishing, is a must-have in order to be considered for top teaching positions in higher ed, says resume expert Kim Isaacs. To see how you can arrange your own, check out this sample academic resume that Isaacs created below, or download the academic resume template in Word.
The demand for postsecondary teachers will grow by 9% over the next decade, which is much faster than the average occupation, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The states with the highest levels of employment for this job vary according to the subject you teach, but often include:
Monster data shows that the median salary for a college professor is $58,097 and ranges from around $40,000 to almost $96,000. To find out what you'd earn in your location, check the Monster Salary Tool.
Additionally, you can search for higher-ed jobs on Monster.
Susan R. Nichols | Early Childhood Education College Instructor
Sometown, MS 38603 • 555-555-5555 • firstname.lastname@example.org • Portfolio URL
- Dedicated college faculty member passionate about building future early childhood educators who are highly qualified to make a positive impact on the lives of children.
- Background includes ten years of teaching experience in both college and preschool classrooms as well as administrative experience as assistant director of a pre-K learning center.
Courses Taught at XYZ College
- Child Development
- Child Guidance
- Creative Activities
- Children with Exceptionalities
- Early Childhood Administration
- Field Experience Supervision
DEF UNIVERSITY — Sometown, MS | Master of Arts (MA) in Early Childhood Education, 2016
Honors: Graduated magna cum laude (GPA: 3.8/4.0)
Thesis: "Pedagogical Approaches Enhancing Interest-Based Learning in the ECE Classroom"
XYZ COLLEGE — Sometown, MS | Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Early Childhood Education, 2011
Honors: Outstanding Teacher Educator Award Graduated cum laude
Student Teaching: Completed 12-week student teaching program at ABC Preschool
XYZ COLLEGE — Sometown, MS
Early Childhood Education (ECE) Instructor, 2020 to Present | ECE Adjunct Faculty, 2017 to 2020
Brought on board as a full-time instructor following success in part-time teaching role within XYZ's ECE program. Balance teaching five undergraduate classes per semester with student advisory responsibilities, research activities, and committee work. Maintain office hours to advise students, coordinate field experiences, and work with faculty and administration to support the mission and goals of XYZ College.
- Demonstrated a deep commitment to advancing the success of academic institution and its students through quality education preparing early childhood educators of tomorrow to thrive in their chosen profession.
- Received high marks on student evaluations for instructional quality, enthusiasm, and relevance. Earned cumulative ratings of 9 on a 10-point scale by ECE students for the past three years in a row.
- Wrote grant proposal that secured $15K for development of ECE curriculum incorporating digital technologies.
ABC PRESCHOOL & DAYCARE CENTER — Sometown, MS
Preschool Assistant Director, 2016 to 2020 | Preschool Teacher, 2011 to 2016
Engaged pre-K learners using a child-centered approach. Fostered strong bonds with students, cultivated relationships with parents, and partnered with teachers to provide a safe environment enabling children to learn to grow.
- Developed innovative curriculum incorporating STEM disciplines, key to enrollment increases from 2018 to 2020.
- Received "exemplary" performance review ratings throughout tenure while concurrently earning a master's degree and teaching evening ECE classes at XYZ College as an adjunct instructor.
Publications & Presentations
Graves, B. and Nichols, S. "Optimizing the Preschool Environment as the Third Teacher to Improve Child-Centered Learning." Journal of Early Childhood Education, vol. 9, no. 2, Feb. 2021, pp. 245–249.
Nichols, Susan. "Easy, Hands-On Activities to Incorporate Robotics into ECE Curriculum." Poster session presented at annual conference of the Early Childhood Educators Association, Atlanta, GA, Sept. 2020.
Nichols, Susan. "Enhancing STEM Education for Young Learners through Art." Workshop presented at SE Regional College Educators Conference, Sometown, MS, Aug. 2019.
Can Your Academic Resume Pass the Test?
Now that you've got an academic resume template to get you started, you'll want to make sure it actually makes the grade. Need some help? Get a free resume evaluation from Monster. We can identify any weak areas that need some improvements. That way, you'll have a clean and professional resume at the ready.