Sample resume for a medical assistant
This resume sample shows how you can highlight your patient-care and administrative skills to advance your career in healthcare.
As an industry, it doesn't get much hotter than healthcare, which is great news for you as a medical assistant looking for a great new job. To get noticed for top medical assistant jobs, be sure to highlight your patient-care and administrative skills on your resume. View the sample resume for a medical assistant below, and download the medical assistant resume template in Word.
Jobs for medical assistants are projected to grow by 29% (or 183,900 jobs) from 2016 through 2026, which is much faster than average, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). You'll find the highest level of employment for this job in the following states: California, Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania, and New York; and in the following metropolitan areas: Los Angeles, New York City, Dallas, Houston, and Phoenix.
As a medical assistant, you can expect to earn a median wage of $32,480 per year, or $15.61 per hour, according to the BLS.
Additionally, you can learn more about healthcare careers on Monster.
Medical Assistant Resume Sample
Sometown, OH 58735 | 555-555-5555 | email@example.com | LinkedIn URL
Certified Medical Assistant
CMA with experience in a multiphysician family medical practice and additional healthcare experience as an RPT. Known for dedication to providing premium patient care. Skills include:
Medical Office Management
Medical Billing & Coding
Medical Records Management
Data Entry (75 WPM)
Bookkeeping & Filing
Taking Patient Vitals
HIPAA & JCAHO Knowledge
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA)
Registered Phlebotomy Tech (RPT)
Certified in First Aid and CPR
High School Diploma, SOMETOWN HIGH SCHOOL, Sometown, OH
ABC FAMILY MEDICAL PRACTICE, Sometown, OH
Certified Medical Assistant, 2010 to Present
Serve as a key member of interdisciplinary healthcare team at a busy family medical practice. Assist seven MDs as well as PA and RN team in ensuring optimal patient care and smooth daily office operations. Key Results:
- Praised for efficient handling of administrative duties (e.g., answering phones, scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, processing patients, billing and bookkeeping) that allowed doctors and nursing staff to focus on the health concerns of their patients.
- Demonstrated proficiency in taking patient medical histories and vital signs, as well as in performing venipunctures, injections and diagnostic procedures and ancillary tests (e.g., EKGs, immunoassays, chemistry analysis, hematology, urinalysis and sigmoidoscopies).
- Ensured the cleanliness, sanitation and maintenance of all facilities, exam rooms and equipment.
- Helped implement practice’s quality assurance and control program. Efforts ensured compliance with HIPAA, CLIA and OSHA regulations; improved patient satisfaction; and lowered monthly overhead by 12%.
- Reacted calmly and effectively in emergency situations, and added the personal, caring touch that immediately put patients at ease.
XYZ CLINIC, Sometown, OH
Registered Phlebotomy Technician, 2008 to 2010
Collected patient blood samples in a safe, sanitary manner for diagnostic testing as a certified phlebotomist.
“…Ann continues to be a vital member of our healthcare team…possesses exceptional patient-care skills…strong command of basic medical procedures and terminology…her cost-saving efforts have saved the practice thousands of dollars annually…one of the finest medical assistants I have worked with in my 18-year career as a physician…”
— R. Rhasad, MD, ABC Family Medical Practice
Get your resume noticed
Health care is a field that is growing so fast, employers can hardly keep up. That's great news for you. Whether you're hoping to work in a teaching hospital, mid-size clinic, or bustling private practice, your resume will need to pass the scrutiny of hiring managers who are looking to hire the brightest medical assistants. Could you use some help refining your resume? Get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service. You'll get detailed feedback in two business days, including a review of your resume's appearance and content, and a prediction of a recruiter's first impression. Let someone else do the assisting for a change.