Sample resume for an entry-level software engineer
Are you skilled at writing code but need help writing your resume? Get ideas from this sample resume for an entry-level software engineer.
To be a successful candidate for software engineer jobs, resume expert Kim Isaacs says it helps to have a comprehensive resume. So if your writing skills are limited to writing code, you might want to keep reading.
Get ideas from this sample resume for an entry-level software engineer that Isaacs created below, and download the entry-level software engineer resume template in Word.
Jobs for software engineers are projected to grow by 24% (or 302,500 jobs) from 2016 through 2026, which is much faster than average, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). You'll find the highest level of employment for this job (systems software) in the following states: California, Massachusetts, Texas, Virginia, and New York; and in the following metropolitan areas: San Jose, CA; Washington D.C.; Boston; New York City; and Los Angeles.
As a software engineer, you can expect to earn a median wage of $103,560 per year, or $49.79 per hour, according to the BLS.
Entry-level software engineer resume template
Thomas J. Smith
55 Northern Road | Sometown, NY 11375
Phone: 555-555-5555 | email@example.com
Targeting an Internship or Entry-Level Opportunity in...
- Upcoming BSSE graduate offering a strong foundation in software engineering and programming principles across multiple platforms.
- Experienced in object-oriented programming; developing, testing and debugging code; designing interfaces; and administering systems and networks.
- Quickly learn and master new technologies; successful working in both team and self-directed settings.
ABC COLLEGE -- Sometown, NY
Pursuing Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering (BSSE), 108/120 credits completed
- Academic Honors: ABC College Program Achievement Citation (2011), Dean’s List (3 semesters)
- Senior Software Engineering Capstone Design Project (in progress):
- Project Scope: Currently working as part of a five-member team on next-generation rollout of robot control software for DEF Company, a technology research company specializing in robotics. Analyzed functional requirements, developed code and currently testing software applications.
- Tools: Visual Studio .Net, C# and ASP.Net
- Java Programming & Data Structures
- Wireless Mobile Software Engineering
- Object-Oriented Design
- Database Management Systems
- Information Security
- Assembly Language Programming
- Computer Organization and Architecture
- Software Engineering Process Management
- Enterprise Software Overview
- Software Quality Testing
- Network Security
- Distributed OS
- Human Computer Interface
DEF TECHNOLOGY INSTITUTE -- Sometown, NY
Associate of Science in Computer Science, May 2009
ABC COLLEGE -- Sometown, NY
Help Desk Technician, October 2011 to Present
- Provide networking and desktop support, account maintenance and printing assistance to students and faculty. Troubleshoot and resolve complex technology problems as the “go-to” person for IT issues.
GHI COMPANY & JKL COMPANY -- Sometown, NY
Barista, 2009 to 2010 (seasonal)
- Excelled within service-oriented positions (concurrent with college studies), delivering premium customer service and attracting repeat customers.
Want to move your application to the top of the pile?
Now that you've written your resume, it's a good idea to have someone critique it before you submit. Get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service. You'll get detailed feedback in two business days, including a review of your resume's appearance and content, and a prediction of a recruiter's first impression.