Sample resume for a midlevel systems administrator
Systems administrators know how to troubleshoot technical issues, but resume solutions can be elusive. See this sample for resume upgrade ideas.
To be a successful candidate for tech jobs, resume expert Kim Isaacs says it helps to have a comprehensive resume. Systems administrators know how to troubleshoot technical issues, but resume solutions can be elusive. To get ideas for upgrading your own resume, view this sample resume that Isaacs created below, or download the midlevel systems administrator resume template in Word. And if you need more help, get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service.
Jobs for systems admins are projected to grow by 6% (or 24,00 jobs) from 2016 through 2026, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). You'll find the highest level of employment for this job in the following states: California, Texas, New York, Virginia, and Florida; and in the following metropolitan areas: New York City, Washington D.C., Dallas, Los Angeles, and Chicago.
As a systems admin, you can expect to earn a median wage of $81,100 per year, or $38.99 per hour, according to the BLS.
Additionally, you can learn more about IT careers on Monster.
Midlevel Systems Administrator resume template
Sometown, MI 49104
Home: (555) 555-5555 | email@example.com
LINUX-CERTIFIED SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR
- Talented systems administrator offering four years of experience in a Unix/Linux environment and expertise in several flavors of Linux including Red Hat, CentOS, Gentoo Linux and Ubuntu.
- Solidly credentialed — achieved LPIC Level 2 Certification and earned an associate’s degree in IT.
- Strong grasp of computer security, assorted operating systems, numerous applications and mixed platforms.
- Systems and Network Administration
- System Security, Backup and Recovery
- Server Administration and Repair
- Mixed-Platform Environments
- Technical Infrastructure (LAN/WAN/VPN/NOC)
- LAMP and LAMR Deployments
- Programming and Scripting
- Workstation Installation/Configuration
- Open-Source Tools
- User Training and Support
LINUX PROFESSIONAL INSTITUTE (LPI)
ABC Technical Institute (Online Program)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), Unix, CentOS, Gentoo Linux, Ubuntu, Windows, Mac OS X
MySQL; C++; Perl; Python; Bourne; Android; TCP/IP; DNS; DHCP; WINS; SMTP; NFS; VMware vSphere; WebSphere; Rumba; basic configuration of Cisco routers, hubs and switches
Avira AntiVirus, Symantec Antivirus, Bitdefender, Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, Avast, AVG, PC Tools Firewall Plus, Sygate Personal Firewall Pro, Comodo Antivirus for Linux
ABC Company — Sometown, MI
Linux Systems Administrator, 2012 to Present
Support Desk Specialist, 2010 to 2012
Promoted to systems administrator role to lead a three-member IT team in configuring, troubleshooting and maintaining Linux and Unix infrastructure for a mid-sized educational services company. Provide ongoing management, performance-tuning and Tier 3 support for approximately 50 Linux and Unix systems. Achievement Highlights:
- Performance Tuning: Ensured that assigned systems were engineered, configured and optimized for maximum functionality and availability. Implemented solutions that reduced single points of failure and improved system uptime to 99.9% availability (up from previous high of 97.5%).
- Project Management: Led enterprisewide hardware/software installations; oversaw major server upgrade/expansion project that improved network access protection (NAP), terminal services and network performance; and integrated new technologies into existing data-center environments.
- Security: Strengthened system/network security and business-continuity planning as a member of company’s security incident response team.
- Troubleshooting: Rectified many issues by instituting best practices in system log analysis, backups, network operating center security, user account/permissions management and systems/software auditing.