Sample resume for a construction worker
A well-constructed resume can punch your ticket to your next job. This sample will help you build your resume on a solid foundation.
Looking to get hired for construction jobs? To help support your job search, you need to have a solid foundation—a well-built resume. Get inspired by viewing this sample resume for a construction worker below, and download the sample resume for a construction worker in Word. To help you begin, we included job-specific keywords for construction specialities that you might want to include on your resume.
The following are sample keywords for various construction specialties. The lists are not exhaustive, as the keywords you should add to your resume depend on your experience and skills. Use the lists as a starting point for determining important keywords you can integrate into your own resume:
Keywords related to all trades
- Soft skills: Professionalism, results-driven, self-starter, goal-oriented, team player, communication skills, interpersonal skills, multi-tasker, honest, organized, dependable, punctual, leader, customer service.
- Construction-specific: Valid driver's license, own hand/power tools, safe and clean working environment, regulatory and safety compliance (OSHA, ADA, UBC, HAZMAT), equipment maintenance, available for travel and flexible shifts.
- Bricklayer: Certified bricklayer, mason, brickmason, blockmason, stonemason, tuckpointer, interior/exterior wall layout and construction, mortar selection, mortar preparation, installation of insulation in masonry walls, radial brick laying, stone laying for industrial/residential chimneys, firebrick application to chimneys and smokestacks, acid-resistant brick application to kilns and tanks, precision stone cutting, precision brick cutting, precision block cutting, masonry materials handling/cutting, masonry structure reinforcement, brick alignment, foundation wall layout and construction, chimney and fireplace layout and construction, layout/construction of grouted reinforced masonry walls, pavement and patio layout and construction, refractory brick and mortar materials.
- Carpenter: Construction carpenter, bench carpenter, rough carpenter, carpenter's helper, carpenter assistant, lead carpenter, journeyman carpenter, finish carpenter, framing carpenter, general construction, restoration and remodeling, facility maintenance, residential construction, commercial construction, framing, interior/exterior finishing, blueprint reading, cabinetmaking, finish carpentry, commercial flooring, concrete flatwork, painting, construction quality assurance, reading construction plans, tile installation, floor installation, cabinet installation, construction repair, window-frame and door fitting/installation, building foundation preparation, beam/girder/footing form installation, roof construction, wall and ceiling covering application, trim/door/baseboard/molding installation, wall/ceiling/flooring erection and insulation, materials selection/cutting/shaping.
- Construction manager: Construction supervisor, construction project manager, project superintendent, construction foreman, assistant construction supervisor, project management, commercial construction, industrial construction, residential construction, construction supervisor's license, plan reading, Work Breakdown Structures (WBS), ground-up projects, subcontractor recruitment/supervision, enforcement of codes and safety regulations, structural engineering drawings, job site supervision & safety, project estimating/bidding, workflow & project scheduling, Critical Path Methods (CPMs), project funding, materials ordering, budgeting & pro-formas, quality control, architectural design, blueprint reading, land acquisition, MS Project, AutoCAD.
- Construction worker/laborer: Construction laborer, construction helper, general laborer, heavy construction projects, construction machines and tools, construction site cleaning and prep, demolition, backfill excavations, scaffolding building, asbestos removal, propane/oxygen/acetylene torches, heavy machinery operation, cement mixer, forklifts, backhoes, cranes, cable trucks, hydra-lift trucks, haul trucks, use of levels, repetitive heavy lifting.
- Electrician: Electric motor/switch assembler and repairer, electronic equipment installer/repairer, electrical power-line installer/repairer, electrician's helper, electrician assistant, commercial electrician, maintenance electrician, certified electrician, journeyman electrician, electric meter installer/repairer, electrical engineer, avionics technician, electrical technician, schematic diagram interpretation, blueprint reading and interpretation, control circuit troubleshooting, 120V, 480/277V, VFDs, individual sensors, level probes, thermocouples, RTD, 3-phase AC motors, drive systems, electrical testing equipment, logic schematics, mechanical aptitude, welding equipment, air compressors, HVAC systems, vacuum pumps, programmable logic controller (PLC) systems, Allen Bradley PLC Systems, motor controls, pneumatics, hydraulics, mechanical systems, welding systems, project management (PM), SLC-5 series, rsnetworx, Control Logix, DH+, process control instrumentation, I/P, PID, voltage troubleshooting, standard wiring practices, National Electrical Codes (NEC), AC/DC control circuit troubleshooting.
- Ironworker: Steel worker, metal fabricator, presser, production worker, rebar worker, drawing and schematic reading and interpretation, rigging assembly, heavy equipment moving, cable attachments, steel unit positioning and alignment, pre-fabricated structure assembly, reinforcing bar and tension cable laying and connecting, steel cutting and positioning, concrete reinforcement, ornamental ironwork installation, robotic equipment, mag drills, Hogan drills, grinders, hydraulic tools.
- Mason: Stonemason, brickmason, blockmason, bricklayer, tile and marble setter, cement mason, concrete finisher, stucco mason, plaster mason, junior mason, mason apprentice, journeyman mason, cornering, lead construction, course construction, mortar selection and preparation, brick and stone sizing/cutting, natural and manmade stone materials, granite/limestone/marble masonry, concrete masonry, brick masonry, wedges, plumblines, levelers, wall and floor construction, chimney and fireplace construction, residential and commercial construction, stone laying, brick laying, precision cutting, brick and stone alignment, blueprint reading.
- Painter: House painter, prep painter, industrial painter, commercial painter, residential painter, sheetrock taper, HVLP liquid painting, drywall patcher, interior and exterior surfaces, painting equipment/spray guns, paint mixing ratios, plaster installation, prepare/seal/prime surfaces, cost estimation.
- Plumber: Journeyman plumber, master plumber, drain technician, plumber gasfitter, industrial plumber, service plumber, residential service plumber, commercial services plumber, licensed tradesman plumber, licensed plumber, plumber's helper, journey license, master plumber's license, equipment maintenance, high-rise, tilt-up, estimating, new construction, plumbing system installation and testing, licensed backflow tester, underground plumbing and piping systems, steam systems, boiler installation, jetter experience, water treatment systems installation, industrial piping, gas piping, sprinkler systems, rough-in, gas lines, emergency service, pipes and pipe fittings, blueprint reading, pipe cutters, cutting torch, threading machine, bending machine, preventive maintenance.
- Roofer: Roofer, roofer's helper, roofing assistant, roofing assembler/repairer, sheet metal roofer, roof technician, roof installation, safety and code requirements, equipment/tool maintenance, blueprint reading, roof damage assessment, roof design and construction, roof repair, material requirements calculations, correcting structural/insulation/waterproofing deficiencies, roof decking preparation, laying insulation and waterproofing materials, flashing and drain installation, conducting drainage and waterproofing tests, coordinating with building inspectors, preventive maintenance, project management, quality assurance.
- Surveyor: Registered land surveyor, surveying technician, cartographer, survey researcher, mapping technician, land surveying, survey computations, subdivision mapping, deed descriptions, GPS/GIS systems and tools, client management, project management, civil engineering, environmental engineering, cost estimates, workplan preparation, permit preparation, excavation drill equipment, subcontractor selection/supervision, geologic and hydrogeologic interpretations, risk assessment, remediation feasibility testing, data analysis, report preparation, AutoCAD, land development desktop software, topographic data collection, CADD mapping, robotic total stations (e.g., Leica, Topcon, Nikon, Geodimeter).
- Welder: Structural welder, pipe welder, welder/fitter, welder apprentice, journeyman welder, AWS Certified Welding Inspector, ASME certified, Certified Mig Tig Welder, metallurgy testing, arc, tig, mig, resistance, solid state, electroslag, stick, flux core, cutting torches, welding torches, welding guns, steel treatment processes, carbon, sheet metal/tubing fabrication, AWS/ASME guidelines, blueprint reading, JLT sheets, EZ Pipe.
Jobs for construction workers are projected to grow by 12% (or 180,500 jobs) from 2016 through 2026, which is faster than average, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). You'll find the highest level of employment for this job in the following states: Texas, California, Florida, New York, and Pennsylvania; and in the following metropolitan areas: New York City, Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, and Los Angeles.
As a construction worker, you can expect to earn a median wage of $33,450 per year, or $16.08 per hour, according to the BLS.
Construction worker resume template
1001 Ridgemore Street
Chicago, Illinois 60415
firstname.lastname@example.org | 773.312.1278 (H) | 773.815.9002 (C)
Summary of Qualifications
Dependable, hard-working Carpenter/Framer with proven record of success working on residential and large commercial building projects valued in excess of $11M.
- Expertise working with a wide range of construction materials and equipment; familiarity with building processes, from project initiation through completion.
- Knowledgeable in general carpentry, site preparation, concrete foundations, and framing practices; able to complete multiple projects skillfully within stringent timeframes.
- Proficient with hand and power tools to include core drills, air compressors, transit and lock levels, saws, chisels, planes, rules, squares, calipers, plumb bobs, carpenter levels, and marking gauges.
- Solid communication skills and possess trade-related math skills essential to a safe, efficient job site.
- Possess high school diploma, valid license with excellent driving record, reliable vehicle, good-quality hand tools, and the ability to lift up to 65 pounds.
Opart Corp. – Chicago, Illinois
Form and Frame Carpenter, 2014 to Present
- Contributing member of small crew responsible for footings, foundations, and framing stages of multimillion-dollar commercial projects.
- Utilize broad skills in construction to participate in excavation, site-preparation and various other building processes.
- Communicate with site supervisors and team members to complete project objectives on schedule.
- Consistently assume additional responsibilities and worked extended hours to meet project deadlines.
- Mentor junior team members, providing guidance on proper techniques and safety.
Ridge, Inc. – Chicago, Illinois
Carpenter / Framer, 2010 to 2013
- Gained valuable experience in building industry operations and processes as construction worker for full-service residential developer.
- Collaborated with teams to prepare building sites and support needs of project managers, supervisors, framers, plumbers, electricians, roofers, and finish carpenters throughout all phases of building projects.
- Key player on 4-member framing team responsible for delivering nine consecutive projects under deadline and in compliance with strict quality standards.
Kaddler, Corp. – Chicago, Illinois
Construction Laborer, 2008 to 2010
- Participated in broad range of construction projects involving demolition, site maintenance and clean up, materials transport, and general support of all phases of construction. Assisted framing and siding teams.
- Commended by Site Foreman for contributing to safe workplace environment by proactively recognized and reported safety hazards.
Get your resume inspected
As a construction worker, you're used to building things—but a resume probably isn't one of them. Could you use some help putting together a resume that can support your job search? Get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service. You'll get detailed feedback in two business days, including a review of your resume's appearance and content, and a prediction of a recruiter's first impression. Let the experts at Monster help you build an awesome career.