Sample resume for an IT professional
Your resume should say more about you than the programming languages you know. This example shows how you can provide a complete picture.
Technology is among the hottest industries out there today, so to be a successful candidate for the most coveted IT jobs, it helps to have a comprehensive resume that says more about you than the programming languages you know. View the sample resume for an IT professional below, or download the sample resume for an IT professional.
Jobs for IT professionals are projected to grow by 13% (or 557,100 jobs) from 2016 through 2026, which is faster than average, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). You'll find the highest level of employment for this job in the following states: California, Texas, New York, Virginia, and Florida; and in the following metropolitan areas: New York City, Washington D.C., Dallas, Los Angeles, and Chicago.
As an IT professional, you can expect to earn a median wage of $84,580 per year, according to the BLS.
Additionally, you can learn about technology careers and search for IT jobs on Monster. And check out an entry-level IT professional resume sample and an assistant IT project manager resume sample for additional resume format tips.
IT professional resume template
1234 Avenue Street, City, State 12345
ITSpecialist@domain.com | 555.555.5555
Summary of Qualifications
Promote optimal performance, reliability, and security across core business systems
- Results-driven professional offering a progressive, seven-year career in information technology.
- Repeated success directing IT projects from inception to execution, strategically allocating resources and delegating tasks to achieve on-time, on-budget delivery.
- Expertly manage technical support operations, diligently troubleshooting issues to identify root causes and prevent recurrence.
- Process improvement champion with a history of implementing new procedures and technologies to strengthen security posture, enhance operational efficiency, and control costs.
– Areas of Expertise –
Testing & Troubleshooting | Project Management | System Administration
Vendor Relations | Strategic Planning | Resource Allocation | Effective Communication
Team Leadership | Business Continuity | Data Backup & Recovery
Windows Vista/7/10; Mac OS X; Oracle; SAP
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Project), SQL, and SharePoint; QuickBooks; Salesforce.com
Java, HTML, C++, PHP, Python, Ruby
Gray & Associates, Seattle, Washington - 10/2010 to Present
System Administrator (6/2012 to Present)
Promoted to leadership role accountable for maintaining key business applications and systems. Partner with senior leadership to guide short- and long-range technology planning. Plan, coordinate, and execute hardware and software upgrades. Serve as vital resource for Help Desk staff, overseeing daily support operations and providing assistance on complex trouble tickets. Cultivate and maintain relationships with IT vendors.
- Successfully directed the on-time, on-budget completion of company-wide upgrade to Windows 10 and Office 365 impacting more than 50 onsite staff and five remote employees.
- Initiated transformative IT policies designed to harden system security, including enhanced measures for password requirements and user access.
- Spearheaded new procedures for Help Desk documentation, enabling the development of a comprehensive knowledge base of common issues and solutions to improve Help Desk efficiency.
Technical Support Specialist (10/2010 to 6/2012)
Provided technical support to end-users, leveraging broad-based expertise to handle problem identification, diagnosis, resolution, and escalation via helpdesk system, telephone, and remote support tools. Performed security administration functions for user, data, and remote access.
- Played an instrumental role in companywide migration from legacy customer relationship management (CRM) system to Salesforce.com by providing end-user training and support.
- Developed step-by-step training manuals for end-users to ensure a seamless transition following application upgrades.
Anderson Consulting, Portland, Oregon
Help Desk Technician (3/2007 to 8/2010)
Performed troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance of computer systems, hardware, peripherals, and telephony. Analyzed system requirements to efficiently isolate and resolve a wide array of technical issues. Participated in large-scale upgrades and installations.
- Quickly learned and master proprietary applications.
- Demonstrated outstanding customer services skills, consistently receiving high rating on client satisfaction surveys.
Excelled in previous roles as Desktop Support Technician for ABC Enterprises in Portland, Oregon(2004 to 2007) and as an Operations Manager for Fancy Restaurant in Eugene, Oregon (2000 to 2004)
Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification | Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) | Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA)
CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | CompTIA Network+ | CompTIA Project+
QA test your resume before hitting "send"
As an IT professional, you know the importance of a thorough quality check before presenting your program for general use. The same is true for your resume. Could you use some help making sure your resume is performing the way it should? Get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service. You'll get detailed feedback in two business days, including a review of your resume's appearance and content, and a prediction of a recruiter's first impression. The sooner you get started, the sooner you'll be strolling into an awesome new IT job.