Sample Resume for an Entry-Level CPA
Looking to jump-start your career with a great accounting job? One of the best ways to break into the finance industry as a new certified public accountant is with a compelling resume. View the sample resume for an entry-level CPA below, and download the entry-level CPA resume template in Word.
Jobs for CPAs are projected to grow by 10% (or 139,900 jobs) from 2016 through 2026, which is faster than average, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). You'll find the highest level of employment for this job in the following states: California, Texas, New York, Florida, and Pennsylvania; and in the following metropolitan areas: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, and Dallas.
As a CPA, you can expect to earn a median wage of $69,350 per year, or $33.34 per hour, according to the BLS.
Additionally, you can learn about accounting careers on Monster.
Entry-Level CPA Resume Sample
JESSICA BLAKE, CPA
Somewhere, MD 20814 | Phone: 301-555-5555 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | LinkedIn URL
Career Goal: Accounting Manager | Sr. Accountant | Financial Analyst
Dedicated CPA with experience developing and implementing financial systems, strategies, processes and controls that significantly improve P&L scenarios. Expert at establishing accounting functions, systems and best practices; cost-reduction, automation and tax strategies; and lasting business relationships to ensure goal-surpassing fiscal performance. Computer skills include proficiency in Excel, Sage 50c, QuickBooks and MS Office.
Certified Public Accountant, State of Maryland
ABC UNIVERSITY — Sometown, MD
Master of Science in Accounting and Financial Management, in progress
Bachelor of Science in Accounting, with honors
- Volunteerism: Hunger Clean Up (planning team) ... National Alliance to End Homelessness (fundraising drive volunteer) ... American Red Cross (blood bank volunteer) ... Serve Maryland (Volunteer)
DEF COMPANY — Bethesda, MD | 9/2015 to Present
Accountant, 1/2016 to Present
Junior Accountant, 9/2015 to 1/2016
Promoted to manage accounting functions for a growing telecommunications company. Supervise three junior accountants and oversee financial analysis, financial audits, G/L, A/R, A/P and fixed-asset accounting in accordance with GAAP standards. Develop and manage external financial relationships (e.g., banks, insurers, auditors) and constantly look for ways to strengthen overall financial performance. Key results:
- Built a finely tuned accounting department, fostering a collaborative environment that improved productivity, individual accountability and team morale.
- Revamped G/L, financial systems, reports and schedules to improve forecast precision and standardize reporting procedures.
- Negotiated below-market lease on prime office space that included $100K in facility improvements embedded into agreement.
- Completed comprehensive valuation analysis and credit review of acquisition target, and played a key role in completing financial due diligence that was crucial to successful merger.
- Uncovered $125K in accounting overpayments during a 6-month period and delivered a 20% expense reduction through analytical studies of business performance.
GHI COMPANY — Silver Spring, MD | 1/2015 to 9/2015
- Delivered 6-figure cost savings by initiating expense analysis of equipment lease alternatives, leading to acted-upon leasing recommendations.
- Introduced business process improvements that enhanced A/P functions, established common vendor files, eliminated duplication and reduced monthly processing time by 20%.
Get your resume reviewed
You're an expert with numbers, but maybe your resume still doesn't add up. Could you use some help with that? Get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service. You'll get detailed feedback in two business days, including a review of your resume's appearance and content, and a prediction of a recruiter's first impression. Show employers you've got what they're looking for!