Sample Resume for an Entry-Level CPA
One of the bests way to break into the finance industry as a new certified public accountant is with a great resume. View the sample resume below, and download the entry-level CPA resume template in Word. And if you need more help, get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's partner TopResume.
Entry-Level CPA Resume Sample
15 Market St. | Sometown, MD 20000 | 301-555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Career Goal: Accounting Manager / Sr. Accountant / Financial Analyst
Dedicated CPA with five years of experience developing and implementing financial systems, strategies, processes and controls that significantly improve P&L scenarios. Expert in establishing accounting functions, systems and best practices; cost-reduction, automation and tax strategies; and lasting business relationships to ensure goal-surpassing fiscal performance. Computer skills include proficiency in Excel, Peachtree, QuickBooks and MS Office.
Certified Public Accountant, State of Maryland, 5/2011
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND UNIVERSITY COLLEGE (UMUC), Adelphi, MD
- Master of Science in Accounting and Financial Management (in progress), degree expected 12/2012
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting, 5/2009
- Volunteerism: Hunger Clean Up (planning team) ... National Alliance to End Homelessness (fundraising drive volunteer) ... American Red Cross (blood bank volunteer) ... Serve Maryland (Volunteer)
DEF COMPANY, Bethesda, MD -- 6/2009-present
Senior Accountant, 3/2010 to Present
Staff Accountant, 6/2009 to 3/2010
Promoted to senior accountant position to direct accounting functions for a growing telecommunications company. Supervise three accountants and oversee financial analysis, financial audits, G/L, A/R, A/P and fixed-asset accounting in accordance with GAAP standards. Develop and manage external financial relationships (e.g., banks, insurers, auditors) and constantly look for ways to strengthen overall financial performance.
- Built a finely tuned accounting department, fostering a collaborative environment that improved productivity, individual accountability and team morale.
- Revamped G/L, financial systems, reports and schedules to improve forecast precision and standardize reporting procedures.
- Negotiated below-market lease on prime office space that included $100K in facility improvements embedded into agreement.
- Completed comprehensive valuation analysis and credit review of acquisition target, and played a key role in the due diligence effort that was crucial to successful merger.
- Uncovered $125K in accounting overpayments during a six-month period and delivered a 20% expense reduction through analytical studies of business performance.
GHI COMPANY, Silver Spring, MD -- 2/2006-4/2009
Accounting Clerk (part-time; concurrent with college studies)
Performed A/P functions for this plastics manufacturer, including purchase order entry and inventory accounting. Processed monthly accruals; prepared checks, production documentation and schedules; and reconciled bank statements.
- Delivered six-figure cost savings by initiating expense analysis of equipment lease alternatives, leading to acted-upon leasing recommendations.
- Introduced business process improvements that enhanced A/P functions, established common vendor files, eliminated duplication and reduced monthly processing time by 20%.