Sample Resume for an Entry-Level Systems Administrator
Are you excited to launch your systems administration career, but fear that your resume needs a disaster recovery plan? This sample can help.
To be a successful candidate for tech jobs, resume expert Kim Isaacs says it helps to have a comprehensive resume. Are you excited to launch your systems administrator career, but fear that your resume needs a disaster recovery plan? View this sample resume that Isaacs created below, or download the entry-level systems administrator resume template in Word. And if you need more help, get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's partner TopResume.
Additionally, you can learn more about IT careers on Monster.
Entry-Level Systems Administrator resume template
Sometown, MA 02102
Home: 555.555.5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org | LinkedIn URL
Junior Systems Administrator
- Unix/Linux systems administrator with experience configuring, monitoring, upgrading and maintaining systems hardware, software and related infrastructure.
- Strong analytical skills; able to work with technicians from various engineering disciplines to troubleshoot complex system-level issues.
- Experience providing Unix support to maintain systems in world-class production data centers.
BS in Computer Information Systems (Network Admin Track), 2011
Sometown College, Sometown, MA
- Dean’s List; Alpha Iota Mu (international CIS honor society); GPA: 3.78
- Course highlights: network administration, network design & analytics, system security, project management, systems analysis, database administration, business information systems
Systems Administrator Intern, 9/2016 to Present
ABC Company, Sometown, MA
Provided systems administration support for Unix systems including server and workstation upgrades, backup and disaster recovery monitoring, user account setup and security administration, Performed regular system backups and recovery procedures, closely following SOPs to ensure system security.
- Created and optimized Unix shell scripts using Bourne, Korn and Bash shells.
- Updated Unix OS patches and ensured compliance with STIG requirements.
- Served on team managing server deployment and allocation of virtual server capacity.
- Worked on project that added a new layer to SAP user interface, reducing data-entry time by more than 15%.
- Commended for technical, analytical and problem-solving skills; effective task prioritization; and customer service orientation.
Computer Operator (concurrent with college), 9/2014 to 6/2016
XYZ Company, Sometown, MA
Monitored night-batch job process, documented errors, performed nightly backups and troubleshot issues.
- Developed scripts to automate network administration tasks and application deployments.
- Facilitated swift resolution of embedded scripting error on Unix system that was freezing printing operations for more than 100 users.
Technical SkillsLinux/RHEL/Unix Administration, Unix Shell Scripting, Perl Scripting, AIX, HP-UX Troubleshooting, VIO Administration, VMware ESXi/vSphere, LDAP, Web Services (IIS, Apache), Sun Servers, SAN Storage, MySQL, LANs/WANs, TCP/IP, Cisco and Netgear Routers, Active Directory Domain Controllers, Casper Suite, Puppet, iptables, IPVS, HAProxy, DNS, VoIP, Wireless/VPN Architecture
Available for Weekend & Evening Shifts also Able to Relocate Nationwide