Sample resume for an auto mechanic
Does your career need a tune-up? Check out this automotive mechanic resume sample for writing tips.
To get hired for the top auto mechanic jobs, your resume needs to pass inspection. Time to put the pedal to the metal and show hiring managers that you've got the tools to excel at this job. Use this sample resume for an automotive mechanic below as your guide, and download the auto mechanic sample resume in Word.
Jobs for auto mechanics are projected to grow by 6% (or 45,900 jobs) from 2016 through 2026, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). In fact, according to one study, skilled trades are at the top of the list of in-demand jobs. You'll find the highest level of employment for this job in the following states: California, Texas, Florida, New York, and Pennsylvania; and in the following metropolitan areas: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, and Houston.
As an auto mechanic, you can expect to earn a median wage of $39,550 per year, or $19.02 per hour, according to the BLS.
You can also search for auto mechanic jobs on Monster.
Auto mechanic resume template
284 Main Street ▪ Topeka, Kansas 66621
email@example.com ▪ 785.555.4893 ▪ 785.555.1649
Automotive Technician / Mechanic
- Highly skilled and dependable with hands-on experience and excellent training to perform service, diagnostics, and repairs on domestic and imported automobiles and trucks.
- Contribute to repeat and referral business through strong problem-solving skills and commitment to top-quality workmanship and excellent customer service.
- Expertise interpreting technical specifications; provide leadership to other mechanics to increase repair accuracy, minimize lost time, and ensure safety compliance.
- Participate in continuous training and professional development activities to maintain current knowledge of rapidly advancing automotive technologies.
Education & Certifications
Associate of Applied Science (AAS) – Automotive Technology, Mechanical (2005)
Metropolitan Community College, Kansas City, Missouri
Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) – A1, A4, A5, A6, A7
Standley Automotive – Topeka, Kansas
Lead Technician - 12/2013 to Present
Supervise four full-time mechanics and two apprentices in troubleshooting, diagnosing, and repairing a wide variety of vehicle makes and models. Manage day-to-day schedule and operations of repair shop, maintaining strong focus on quality workmanship and customer service. Evaluate accuracy of diagnoses and approve recommended repairs. Complete records, warranty documentation, and ensure proper maintenance of tools and equipment. Meet face-to-face with customers to provide estimates and explain repairs.
- Integral in establishing service and repair shop grounded on high-quality workmanship by providing strong leadership and motivation to junior mechanics and apprentices.
- Led service and repair shop in achieving two nationally recognized Service Excellence awards for quality of work and commitment to customer service.
Mr. Jack’s Import Repair – Topeka, Kansas
Automotive Technician - 10/2010 to 11/2013
Conducted automotive inspections, diagnostics, and repairs on European imports to include engines, transmissions, differentials, brakes, clutches, starters, axles, steering gears, carburetors, fuel systems, cooling systems, and other mechanical and electrical systems. Maintained accurate hours and repair records.
- Built solid reputation as highly skilled and quality-driven mechanic; entrusted with increased responsibility, often supervising other mechanics.
- Recognized by management for expertise and routinely called upon for recommendations; provided valuable guidance that led to avoidance of lost time and damaged parts.
Sam’s Truck and Auto – Topeka, Kansas
Mechanic - 3/2007 to 10/2010
Specialized in repair of automatic and manual transmissions as well as repair, realignment, and replacement of brake systems. Assisted lead mechanics with diagnosis and repair of all units and systems.
- Maintained constant dedication to quality, maximized accuracy, and ensured jobs were completed correctly the first time.
- Displayed solid commitment and loyalty to the company, often working overtime as needed.
MetroAuto – Kansas City, Missouri
Automotive Mechanic Trainee - 2/2005 to 2/2007
Worked under direction of master mechanic, rotating through diagnosis and repair of automotive systems and units. Conducted routine service and preventative maintenance.
- Demonstrated talent for quickly and accurately diagnosing mechanical failures and determining corrective actions.
- Advanced through program faster than other trainees by maintaining commitment to continually increasing knowledge and skills.
Rev up your resume
For a successful job search, your resume should perform like a well-oiled machine, with all the proper parts in working order. Need help fine-tuning the details? Get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service. You'll get detailed feedback in two business days, including a review of your resume's appearance and content, and a prediction of a recruiter's first impression. It's a quick and easy way to put your job search in the fast lane.