Sample resume for high school graduates
To be the successful job candidate in any field, it helps to have a comprehensive resume—even if you're only in high school. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the youth labor force (16- to 24-year-olds working or actively looking for work) sharply increases between April and July each year, as high school and college students look for summer jobs. Just how many more young people are employed during those months? Consider this: From April to July 2017, the youth labor force increased by 1.9 million to 20.9 million.
To show you how you can stand out from the crowd, take a look below at what a great resume for a high school student might look like (we chose to create a sample resume for a veterinary assistant), and download the high school grad/veterinary assistant resume template in Word.
High School Grad/Veterinary Assistant resume template
Sometown, AZ 85701 | 555-555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org | LinkedIn URL
Veterinary assistant whose qualifications include a high school diploma (earned with honors) and a passion for the health, well-being and safety of animals. Developed animal care skills through:
- Dedicated service as an SPCA animal shelter volunteer;
- Active member and officer in 4-H;
- Experience as a horse owner and competitive barrel racer; and
- Experience as a household pet owner (dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, macaw).
Sometown high school — Sometown, AZ
Diploma, 2017 (GPA: 3.8)
Honors: National Honor Society Sanford A. Greeley Scholarship
SOCIETY for the PREVENTION of CRUELTY to ANIMALS — Sometown, AZ
Animal Ambassador II, 1/16 to Present
Animal Ambassador I, 10/14 to 12/15
- Advanced to level II animal ambassador at Sometown SPCA Animal Shelter after completing intensiveAnimal Handling training program.
- Demonstrated dedication to the SPCA by volunteering for an average of 16 hours monthly. Assist in training, socializing and feeding animals awaiting adoption as well as handling basic shelter upkeep tasks.
- Qualified for Veterinary Medical Assistanttraining program, set to begin this spring.
Activities & Awards
- Member / Vice President 4-H (Sometown Chapter), 2015 to Present
- County Winner (Second Place) 4-H Public Speaking Contest, 2016
- State 4-H Finalist Level I Equestrian (Western), 2015
- Top 3 Finalist Multiple youth-division barrel races, 2013 to 2016
“…Amy has been a dedicated SPCA volunteer…her love of animals is evident in the caring treatment she has consistently provided. She has a gentle, calming manner that animals respond to…”
— Marcy Elias, Director, Sometown SPCA Shelter
“…Amy is a hard worker and a fast learner…I seldom have to show her something more than once before she has mastered it…She interacts very well with shelter staff, fellow volunteers and the general public…I have no doubt that Amy will make a fine veterinary assistant…she has my highest recommendation.”
— Bill Short, Vet Assistant, Sometown SPCA Shelter
Let the pros review your resume—free of charge
Whether you worked a part-time job, volunteered, both, or neither, you can have a professional-looking resume that will position you to get hired. Could you use some help ironing out the wrinkles? Get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service. You'll get detailed feedback in two business days, including a review of your resume's appearance and content, and a prediction of a recruiter's first impression. Think of it as part of your continuing education.